Thread: Red Oak Finishing

Red Oak Finishing

What's the best clear pore filler to use under Behlens RHTT or
    Generals Arm-R-Seal ?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

The waterborne Chrystalac has a reputation for shrinking quite a bit as it cures, meaning you may need several coats. Oil based fillers shrink less and offer more working time, so you can scrape or wipe off more of the filler meaning less sanding. Sherwin Williams filler is excellent with almost entirely silica filler, which shrinks less and becomes more translucent than fillers with plaster of Paris type filling material. But it is available only in gallons. Old Master pore filler also has mostly silica filling material, but unless you are lucky it is probably a mail order product.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    The waterborne Chrystalac has a reputation for shrinking quite a bit as it cures, meaning you may need several coats. Oil based fillers shrink less and offer more working time, so you can scrape or wipe off more of the filler meaning less sanding. Sherwin Williams filler is excellent with almost entirely silica filler, which shrinks less and becomes more translucent than fillers with plaster of Paris type filling material. But it is available only in gallons. Old Master pore filler also has mostly silica filling material, but unless you are lucky it is probably a mail order product.

Is Por-O-Pac made by Old Master? This is what I was leaning towards. Also how can I tell if the filler is silica or plaster of paris, is it stated on the can?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Pore-O-Pak is made by Behlen, not Old Master. It contains little silica, but is generally an OK filler, with more shrinkage than the pure silica versions, but still quite a bit less than the waterborne.