Thread: DW733 Help Please

Question DW733 Help Please

I am working on a cutting board today and I needed to flatten the top before making the second round of cuts. As I passed the glued up boards through, they would stall about half way through, and then I would have to pull it to start it again. This makes me a little uncomfortable, as I don't like trying to fit my hands around the dust hood to pull on the glue up.

I used paste wax before I started on the bed and infeed/outfeed tables. Is is possible that the rollers need to be cleaned, and how would I do that. Also, is it possible that the cutter head could be out of square, I don't think this is the problem because I get a consistent cut across the entire surface, but I don't know if it is parallel, what do you guys think? Lastly, is it just that the workpiece is too short to be fed through, the glue up is about 15 1/2" long and 12" wide. Also, I am going to put in a set of freshly sharpened knives after I finish this, and both of the rollers appear to be moving smoothly prior to feeding wood into the planer.

Thanks as always.
    Last edited by Matthew Bobek; 05-08-2010 at 5:51 PM.

I've found that 3 things caused mine to stall.
    1. Unwaxed bed
    2. Dirty rollers. (wipe clean with mineral spirits)
    3. Dull blades (tends to polish the surface, looking like a really clean pass)

3. i didnt have any luck waxing the bed on my DW733. i cleaned the feed rollers and bed real clean with mineral spirits and that did wonders for me. i have planed pine and cedar since with no stalling. im not sure but i think you would only wax a cast iron surface. the bed on the DW733 is a stainless piece which is slippery when real clean. I hope this helps.

How deep is your depth of cut? Too deep and it will stall.

Prior to purchasing a 15" thicknesser, I had a DeWalt 733 and had to be careful not to take off too much or it would stall and/or produce a poor surface.

Thanks for the info guys. I've been taking less than 1/32" off at a time. The other thing I forgot to mention is that it also pulls to the right slightly as it begins to be pulled through, could the dirty rollers have something to do with this? I'm going to address these issues tomorrow, so any additional info would be appreciated.

Well, my new (used) planer works like a charm! Thanks for the replies. Along with the information and some other threads on here I was able to tune up my planer to top shape. I can't wait to start buying rough lumber and making this planer pay for itself. Cleaning the rollers and waxing the bed made all the difference in the world. Thanks again.