Thread: Porter Cable Scroll Saw - initial impression & questions

Porter Cable Scroll Saw - initial impression & questions

Anyone have/use the new Porter Calbe scroll saw sold by Lowe's? I just bought one, seemed well made and has the PC pedigree...two things right off the bat, though - the lamp does not stay put where you place it, but rather droops. When the motor is turned on, it humms - it this normal? Will post more when I actually get to use the thing. Any info greatly appreciated.

Photo of saw

Couldn't edit previous post - here's a pic of the still unused saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Did your Lowe's have the Hitachi version that they used to carry? The PC is a very close cousin. My Lowe's had either one for the same price last time I was in. As the PC is "new", I would imagine any feedback about the Hitachi CW40 would pretty much apply to the PC. I was surprised to see them side-by-side and I am not sure where the connection is in the whole Black and Decker world of wonder ;-)

If the lamp starts to bug you, the DeWalt lamp for my DW788 stays put. I liked it so much I bought one for my bandsaw. They're under $40 from most places, Grizzly for sure.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-05-2010 at 9:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    seemed well made and has the PC pedigree...
    What pedigree? PC as it used to be is GONE. Stuff that is being sold under that label is Chinese. You brought it home and you have two separate problems. How much more convincing do you need?

So Mike, how does it run? My old P20 is also asian, but it'll pass the nickle test.
    Droopy lamps have always been a Delta trademark...I guess PC just inherited that. I have an arm lamp built sort of like a dial indicator stand. Rock steady. Found it at the flea market.
    Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino View Post
    What pedigree? PC as it used to be is GONE. Stuff that is being sold under that label is Chinese. You brought it home and you have two separate problems. How much more convincing do you need?
    Well, I'd like to see how it performs during cutting, for one thing. I asked for opinions from people who had experience with the saw, not from those who don't. (perhaps my word 'pedigree' was incorrect - i figured PC would only put their brand on a quality product). And the humming may not be a problem, rather just the way these motors sound; don't have any tools from Taiwan or other countries in that part of the world?
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 05-08-2010 at 8:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Did your Lowe's have the Hitachi version that they used to carry? The PC is a very close cousin.
    Glenn, they had one Hitachi that was in pretty bad shape, discounted...probably the model you are speaking of. I know it had a cast iron table, where the PC does not. Too bad, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    So Mike, how does it run? My old P20 is also asian, but it'll pass the nickle test.
    Droopy lamps have always been a Delta trademark...I guess PC just inherited that. I have an arm lamp built sort of like a dial indicator stand. Rock steady. Found it at the flea market.
    Mickey
    Mickey, you're probably right about the lamp; my Rikon 14" deluxe lamp does the same thing . Will post after this weekend when I get to use it.

Anyone have/use the new Porter Calbe scroll saw sold by Lowe's? I just bought one, seemed well made and has the PC pedigree...two things right off the bat, though - the lamp does not stay put where you place it, but rather droops. When the motor is turned on, it humms - it this normal? Will post more when I actually get to use the thing. Any info greatly appreciated.
    Have you ever used a parallel link saw? After buying one I cant go back to parallel arm units.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Palenski View Post
    Have you ever used a parallel link saw? After buying one I cant go back to parallel arm units.
    Nathan, no, I never have - I'm primarily a turner, so my non-lathe tool budget is kinda low.

O.T. rikon lamp

Mickey, you're probably right about the lamp; my Rikon 14" deluxe lamp does the same thing . Will post after this weekend when I get to use it.
    I can't help with the saw but I fixed my lamp. I removed it--if you remove the switch you can reach the back of the lamp with long pliers. I took a piece of light 2" angle and drilled a hole to fit the lamp's threaded base. I rewired it with an old lamp cord with extra tape where the cord contacts the metal base and zip tied the cord in place so it doesn't rub. On the other face of the angle iron I attached 2 salvaged hard drive magnets. Presto, magnetic base lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I can't help with the saw but I fixed my lamp. I removed it--if you remove the switch you can reach the back of the lamp with long pliers. I took a piece of light 2" angle and drilled a hole to fit the lamp's threaded base. I rewired it with an old lamp cord with extra tape where the cord contacts the metal base and zip tied the cord in place so it doesn't rub. On the other face of the angle iron I attached 2 salvaged hard drive magnets. Presto, magnetic base lamp
    Curt, I did try and access it that way, but no luck on my part. I'll try again, after hearing your success, and will give your fix a shot. Thanks.

I had the Hitachi scroll saw before I got into woodworking at it was a decent machine that made fairly accurate cuts. I do remember it having a slight hum in the motor as you describe. Nice unit though.

Just a quick follow-up. I got to use the saw today, and it performed just fine; I was cutting some curly tiger maple, about 1/4" thick. The blade holder held the pinless blades I was using just fine (if any of you have trouble with this, I recently read that some scroll sawyers will abrade the ends of their pinless blades with sandpaper so the saw holds them better - wish I had thought of that when I had my other scroll saw ). Cuts were easy to control, although the saw's 'hold down' seemed a little weak. If you need a decent scroll saw at a sane price point, you might like this as much as I'm getting to.

Nathan, no, I never have - I'm primarily a turner, so my non-lathe tool budget is kinda low.
    My Lowes stocks a great set of starter blades. I think there's half a dozen of 5 or 6 different sizes. The whole shebang runs about $10.

Also a foot switch is a great investment. If you ever upgrade the saw it'll work with the new one. I saw one recently at the wood show for ~$15.