Thread: What do you do with plywood scraps?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do you do with plywood scraps?

Ever so often I go through my shop and clean out all the scraps that I "may use someday" so I have space to keep making sawdust. I always cut down solid wood into the size I can burn in a fireplace but I toss the plywood scraps and anything with glue/paint/finish on it in a can or dumpster. Is there a better way to dispose of this scrap? What do you all do?

Plywood burns too! I save all small cutoffs, hardwood, ply or mdf/pb in a 55 gal. plastic drum (or 2) for kindling next winter in my shop stove.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

So long as you don't cook over the fire, ply burn great... Not sure if there is any other good way to recycle your scraps. Certainly they could be made into pulp for paper products.

Burning any softwood in a fireplace can cause creosote build-up in the chimney which can cause a chimney fire.

make jigs.

they're perfect for hinge jigs, mortising jigs, etc.

I bought a mesh type outdoor fireplace a couple of years ago. Sits in the corner of my back yard. When I start tripping over containers of stuff I take it out back and burn it. Sawdust and metal are about the only thing I have to take to the dumpster.

make jigs
    +1.

Also:
    - spacers,
    - stop blocks,
    - setup jigs for router profiles/TS blade height go-no-go
    - tool holders,
    - cleats,
    - bases for stationary tools,
    - glued edge to edge - they can be used as sacrificial cutting surfaces for cutting out templates when using an exacto, single edge razor blade or utility knife,
    - Small scraps can be glued face to face, then using a hole saw, wooden "knobs" can be made by putting a carriage bolt through the hole left by the mandrel.<--the late Nicki Avrami can be thanked for that idea.

& much much more..

Ramsey Ramco Guest
    I have an outdoor fire pit I take it all to. Nice evening spent outside, ice cold beverage of choice sitting by the fire, for a second I think I'm in paradise

trash bin.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I save them until I get tired of them laying around. Then I toss them in the scrap bag.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What is the environmental impact of burning the glue in plywood?