Thread: Reusing Evaporust

Reusing Evaporust

I know that the stuff is reusable, but at what point do you guys discard the stuff?

I just put 3 smoothing planes through it one at a time. After each, the stuff got a little darker. It is now more black than green.

I was repouring it back into a container and using a mesh filter to catch the crud, but decided it would be best to discard this batch.

Just curious how much you guys reuse the stuff.

Thanks,
    Josh

I'm not sure if it makes a diff, but I never mix the old and new. I store used stuff in a closed container and add new stuff occaisionally. Sometimes I pre-soak with used stuff and do a final dip in fresh solution. It seems to work.

The Evaporust website has a FAQ that addresses this question.

I've seen vinegar suggested for the same sort of applications as evaporust. What is the difference in performance? (I have some old Stanley planes)

Thank you,
    Bill

5. Bill, I have found that evaporust works, and vinegar does not.
    -e

Reuse it until it stops working. It will get slower and slower over time as the concentration of available active ingredient falls. When it takes too long switch to fresh. Mixing old and new won't hurt, but will dilute the new stuff. It would make more sense not to mix.

It is an iron chelator that works at neutral pH. Much gentler and more effective than acid-based treatments.

From the FAQ linked above:
    "EVAPO-RUST has an indefinate shelf life* and can be used over and over until it absolutely stops working. Only water is lost to evaporation. EVAPO-RUST has a tremendous work load. One gallon can remove 1/2 pound of pure dry rust."

With regard to mixing old and new, consider this:
    "*Shelf life is for un-opened product. Once opened, The life of the bath will vary due to biodegradability (bacteria introduced into the solution). After using Evapo-Rust, it is better to cover the solution, but still allow air to the bath. Pouring the solution back into a sealed container will allow the anaroebic bacteria to begin the degredation process. Used, open baths have continued to operate for over a 12 month period."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Erb View Post
    Bill, I have found that evaporust works, and vinegar does not.
    -e

Vinegar will etch the cast iron if you soak it too long.

Guess how I figured that out.

I have tried both and imo vinegar + salt works better. Just make sure you do not have any metal left above the vinegar or you will get a distinct line. I keep 3-4 gal of cleaning vinegar in the garage and a couple of different sized totes. I usually soak the item for 24hrs, take out and scrub with a brush and then stick in for another day, works like a charm. When done with the vinegar I get another container with warm water and dip the item in that and mix in some baking soda for bout 10mins to neutralize.