Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How small is too small to keep?

I'm not sure these were from 'scraps', but there is a lot more where these came from.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have any way to burn wood but I cannot stand to send perfectly good biomass to the land fill. I once planned on installing a salvaged 19th-century wood burning stove in my house, but the code issues were too onerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I don't have any way to burn wood but I cannot stand to send perfectly good biomass to the land fill. I once planned on installing a salvaged 19th-century wood burning stove in my house, but the code issues were too onerous.
    Find someone who does was what I did for years. I also could never landfill solid wood and never have. Now, we're planning a woodstove in the addition, so I box scraps up and put them in the crawlspace.

I've also found two different people with chickens, and they love to take the sawdust.

-Steve

If you can store offcuts somewhere out of your workspace, then you might not have a problem, but if they end up cluttering up your shop you'll have to throw stuff out, even though a lot of it might be perfectly good and would work perfectly for some job, somewhere in the future (that might never come along).

Steve, putting a bunch of cellulose in the crawl space is a bad idea. You are just inviting various wood destroying and wood eating insects in for dinner.

I'd say it depends on what you make and how you like to work. Lately I make lots of small stuff and I've blown through a lot of saved scrap. But when I worked in a production shop we would rarely save much less than 15" long by 3" wide and never thinner than 13/16.... The reasoning was that however many you use up, the same project made 6 more, so there's a constant supply. We tended to save anything longer than 15", as they were always useful when making chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Steve, putting a bunch of cellulose in the crawl space is a bad idea. You are just inviting various wood destroying and wood eating insects in for dinner.

True for most of the country.

Our 9 month high altitude winters pretty much keeps such critters at bay.

Besides, I bet they would rather go after the 1000 sqaure feet of joists/pony walls etc than taped up cardboard boxes. I bet I have half a cord down there already.

-Steve

I have about 3 boxes that i keep 'scraps' of different sizes in. Makes it easier to sift thru. I use some of them for corner glue blocks, fillers, dead wood, and sometimes some projects. I have enough to do a couple of small clocks and business card holders.

If I can't identify a use for it in the immediate future, its going in the dumpster.

I have a few Rubbermaid bins full of various types and sizes of leftovers. The tiny scraps get pitched, but I find that I use quite a lot of the other pieces for everything from clamping blocks to jigs to small parts and everything in-between. It very much depends on the type of work I am currently doing whether the scrap pile is accumulating or depleting. Over time, the remaining bits are of the less useful category and I have to purge through them every so often since space is a big problem in my shop.