Thread: Best 18 Volt Drill/Driver

Best 18 Volt Drill/Driver

I haven't been on here for a while and just getting back. I do have a question as to which is the best Drill/driver in the 18 volt class. Right now I am considering the Makita as I have an old 9.6 volt and upgrading it to use the Ni-Mn batteries and the charger on Mikita 18 volt could be used for either. Otherwise I will have to buy a new charger.
    Thanks for any advise
    Dick
    Dick Brown

Rich. In my opinion,Milwaukee. I've seen these drills take a heck of a beating at work, and just keep on turning.Batteries are available everywhere and they are interchangeable with most of Milwaukee's other tools in this class, they also seem to last a long time. They're heavy though, and if you have smaller hands they might be too big.

Any of the major brands are generally good...pick the color and price point that suits you and also consider what other tools they have at that voltage. But if this is a "general purpose" tool, consider that the 18v units are dang heavy. The 12v and 14.4v and 15v tools offer a lot of power and utility at a more comfortable weight, especially for woodworking activites. I would only consider the heavier units if I were doing heavy and frequent construction/home improvement work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brown
    I haven't been on here for a while and just getting back. I do have a question as to which is the best Drill/driver in the 18 volt class. Right now I am considering the Makita as I have an old 9.6 volt and upgrading it to use the Ni-Mn batteries and the charger on Mikita 18 volt could be used for either. Otherwise I will have to buy a new charger.
    Thanks for any advise
    Dick
    Dick,

The best one right now in my opinion is the Dewalt! You wanna know why? Because they are giving away a free 1000 in lb impact driver for a limited amount of time with the 18V drill which is also a hammer drill BTW. Check the tool crib at Amazon.

gene

One thing to keep in mind that the FWW "Tools and Shops" issue pointed out (though they were reviewing 14.4V models) is that the sub-$100 stuff generally has a plastic transmission, whereas your name-brand models (DeWalt, PC, Milwaukee, etc.) will generally have a metal (and much more durable) transmission. Just something to keep in mind. Personally, I like my PC 14.4V, seems to be a real good balance of power and weight. (And I tend to USE and ABUSE my tools, though the abuse is NOT intentional necessarily).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Any of the major brands are generally good...pick the color and price point that suits you and also consider what other tools they have at that voltage. But if this is a "general purpose" tool, consider that the 18v units are dang heavy. The 12v and 14.4v and 15v tools offer a lot of power and utility at a more comfortable weight, especially for woodworking activites. I would only consider the heavier units if I were doing heavy and frequent construction/home improvement work.
    I have the Dewalt 18v series. Yes it's heavier than the 14.4, but as an occasional use tool, the weight isn't an issue. If you're using any of the really power hungry tools like the saws, you'll want the extra power.

I have used Porter-Cable, DeWalt and Bosch 18v and I much prefer the Bosch. It seems that the charge lasts longer, there is more torque and I know that Bosch's claims about drop testing the units are accurate (don't ask ). They also fit me best ergonomically but I have large hands.

Richard, I just now received an Email from All Pro Tools , and they are having a two day sale that offers the Bosch 18V drill for $40 off.
    Best Regards, Ken