Thread: One done!

Blog Entries

One done!

Here is an Ash serving tray I recently completed for a lady. The tray is one of the projects I need to finish before Christmas. The tray is made completely from ash. The sides are 3/4" thick, the bottom is two pieces bookmatched that were resawn and planed down to the 1/4" thickness I needed. All four sides of the tray are sloped 10 degrees. The finish is three coats of Minwax polyurethane, rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax. I used urethane because she wants the tray to match her kitchen cupboards which have yellowed after several years. The poly should do the same on this tray. I also made provisions on the back so she can hang the tray up on the wall when not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee - the tray looks very nice. I'm sure your friend will like it very much.

One question - what brand of paste wax do you use and won't the damp cloth used to wipe the tray occassionally remove the wax? I've never used wax on a project like this because I was under the assumption that the wax would wear off fast.

Thanks - and how many more to go????

Betsy

Very nice, clean design, and execution. What is the joinery at the corners?
    Alan

Lee -

Very nice. What sort of "provisions'" did you make on the back so she can hang it up?

Regards,
    Ted

Very nice, Lee, and I like the bookmatch on the bottom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lee -

Another fine piece of work - ya done good!

Looks great, I have about 300 bd. ft. of ash and am always trying to find different projects to use it on. Nice idea!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Blog Entries
    Okay some answers!

1. I use Johnson Paste wax and yes it wears off, but can essly be reapplied. I encourage people to occasionally apply some pledge or other furniture wax to the items I make. The poly will protect the wood.

2. The corner joints are rabbet joints, nothing fancy, they are just tilted 10 degrees each way.

3. The hanging provisions are simply a slot cut with a key hole bit into the lip on the back that holds the bottom in, without cutting into the bottom. You see just a small U shaped cut in the inside edge, but there is a larger U shaped cut under it to accept the head of a screw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee

Looks good, Lee! Great job and idea!
    Jerry

Very nice Job. Sometimes simple clean lines are the best way to go.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Looks great, but I didn't onow "Ash Trays" were Politically correct

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Flynt
    Looks great, but I didn't onow "Ash Trays" were Politically correct
    That's a real groaner, Hal!
    Nice job on the tray, Lee!

Very nice Lee!!