Thread: Looking for high end chisel set...

Looking for high end chisel set...

Hello everyone,

People are asking me what I want for Christmas. They know I have most everything I could need/want. I am thinking I might ask Santa for a new set of chisels. I currently have the Lee Valley boxed set of chisels and I am reasonably happy with them. I did buy a single 1/4" wooden handled Marples that I ground to 3/16 and rounded for doing dovetails and it seems better than my Lee Valley set for staying sharp and not rolling an edge. While I did buy it at LV a couple of years ago, I just checked and they don't seem to carry them anymore.

What are people opinions on what to buy in a high end chisel set?

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    David, I've heard that the new Lie-Nielsen chisels are high end.
    By the way, have you ever given thought to the notion that the 3/16" Marples chisel seems sharper simply because it takes less effort to take a shaving with it? Any chisel that is narrower would seem sharper, I would think, simply because it presents less area to the wood, and therefore takes less pressure. Just a thought . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisan
    What are people opinions on what to buy in a high end chisel set?
    David,

You really should post this in the Neanderthal forum.

With that said, if you want "high end" chisels, think Japanese.

Check these beauties out: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=TBJ

HTH,

Tom

ps When you get a look at the prices, keep in mind that you are the one who said he was looking for high end!
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

For real top of the line without marketing gimmicks, I'd look to compliment the bench chisels I already had rather than replace them, and in a chisel I'd stay clear of A2 steel, as it doesn't take quite as good an edge as carbon.

Look at these 20-degree bevel long parers from Sorby thru Highland or Lee Valley:

And these Barr Quarton's forged the old fashioned way:

http://barrtools.com/Merchant2/merch...gory_Code=CMCS
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Hi David - I know very, very little about good chisels, but did want to pass on second hand information from Hart Tool about MHG chisels. They ranked them comparable to Two Cherries chisels for 20-30% less. They're made in Germany.

http://www.mhg-tools.de/indexe.html
    http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11710

The Barr chisels that Bob mentioned are great, a friend of mine has them . The Ashley Iles (The Best Things) or Hirsch(Lee Valley) are both very good.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Fine Woodworking did a review on chisels a couple of years ago. They tested for hardness, and ability to hold an edge - which surprisingly they showed were not the same.

Anyway, high end japanese chisels did well, but were very expensive. They listed chisels from "Two Cherries" out of Germany as a high end chisel "best buy".

That's what I purchased and have been very happy with them. They come polished so they're beautiful to boot.

TL