Thread: 15" Planer setup

15" Planer setup

I just got a 15" Jet planer and am working on the setup and have a couple of questions.

1) The bed rollers - There are two rollers on the bed of the planer. The manual says they are adjustable from 0 to 0.06" I set them to be 0.02" above the bed. How has anyone else set them. I did read some old posts where people eliminated the rollers by putting a slick table through the planer and not only eliminated the bed rollers but also the infeed and outfeed table rollers.

2) Infeed and outfeed rollers - The manual suggest to set them level but I did that and am getting some snipe. I know that I probably want to raise them and found a previous post. That post I found had set the roller closest to the planer to just a hair above the rollers on the bed of the planer below the pressure rollers. The second one out was set 1/16" higher and the farthest one out 1/16" above the second roller.

Does anyone have some comment on these settings? Thx

Hi Larry! The higher bed rolls are set, the more snipe you will encounter. If you plan on planing wood which has already been surface jointed, set them barely above the bed surface (.003") Use a straightedge and feeler gauge to find this minute setting. High settings of bed rolls are for planing very rough lumber, to keep it from dragging on the bed.

In 20+ years I have never adjusted the infeed, outfeed rollers of my old Rockwell 13" planer. My only advice is to set them so stock is pulled into the planer smoothly, and consistently. If either roller is set too low, marks may be imprinted on the freshly planed surface; deep marks from the infeed and minute marks from the smoother outfeed.

As for snipe, try raising up on the outboard end of stock as it is ready to pass the outfeed roller. Facing the planer's left side, with lumber outfeeding to the left, press down on the stock close to the planer table with right hand. Pull up on the stock with left hand, like you are trying to bow it. Get the feel of this maneuver and many boards will emerge perfectly with no snipe at all! Enjoy your new planer!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!