Thread: What square to buy?

What square to buy?

I am looking for a good 6" try or combination square that is actually square. Are the try squares better or more accurate than combination? I was looking at the 6" woodpecker try square. Does anyone have any info on these? What about machinest squares accuracy? I bought a crown 6" from woodcraft($25.00) but it is not square. So I am looking to spend more to get a good one that I can trust. Recomendations please.

The higher quality squares are good -- Starrett and Mitutoyo have been good brands and all have been square out of the box. Brown & Sharpe also makes quality products. The higher priced squares typically come with certificates of accuracy. I just posted info a few days ago from a machine tool company that is offering Mitutoyo squares for 50% off of 2007 pricing -- a 3" square was $25 and it is accurate to .00026".

Scot

The only place I use those cheap imported steel squares is around my belt grinder,where water will get them rusty,etc.. But first,I make them more accurate by bonking them with a mallet to fit up to my Starrett or vintage B&S squares.

I had an Incra square for a few years. It was and is square and will take a few falls to the floor without loosing is accuracy. Its only problem is it is aluminum and the falls onto the concrete will dent the softer aluminum. I now have both a 6 inch and a 12 inch Starrett stainless steel square with the certificates of accuracy. Both of these are square and very nice

http://www.amazon.com/Incra-GSQR7-Gu.../dp/B0000639X2

http://www.mansontool.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=5492

http://www.mansontool.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=5493

+1 for the incra. Excellent square, IMO.

and yet another +1 for the Incra...

The 4" and 6" Starrett squares are the ones I grab first. They are among the most-used tools I own.

Mike

Incra, Starret and Mitutoyo. If you just want a setup square then the Incra, for a combo square get the Starrett or the Mitotoyo.

Plastic drafting squares are VERY accurate. No huge investment if one is damaged. A 45/90 and 30/60/90 are very handy to have around.

But, there is no question a good machinist's combination or try square is indispensible for critical work. General makes some good stuff and it's less expensive than Starrett or Mytutoyo.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    The 4" and 6" Starrett squares are the ones I grab first. They are among the most-used tools I own.

Mike
    Ditto. Ya gets what ya pays for. Plus - your great-great-great grandkids can use them, and they'll still be square (not the kids - the Starrets).
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Just ordered the Mitutoyo 8" an 3" for 95.00. Not quite the deal Scott got but I am satisfied. The 8" alone would be 185.00 for the new model. Thanks Scott and everyone for the great info as always.

FWIW, I have the set of 4 Groz squares. For $60, they're as precise as I need for setting up tools, but cheap enough to use everyday for woodworking as well. If I drop one, and it goes out of square, I don't cry. I toss it out and buy a new one for $15.

For accuracy, you can't beat a Starrett. They include a certificate of accuracy with each tool. For looks and accuracy, look at Bridge City Tools. I use mine all the time when checking the jointer fence, joint lay-out and sometimes checking the thickness of a board. Go with great quality from the beginning and you will be set for life.

I've got several Woodpeckers squares that are very accurate. I have a Bridge City Tool 4" speed square that is dead-on. For quite a bit more, the BCT DSS6 is on helluva 6" sliding square/saddle square combo with three rules included. BCT and Woodpeckers both have impeccable quality.