Thread: Glue screwing up the finish on my project -- HELP!!

Glue screwing up the finish on my project -- HELP!!

Guys,

I just finished building a "dry sink" made of eastern white pine. I made raised panel doors for it and thought I removed all of the glue squeeze-out before staining them, but apparently I was wrong!

The oil-based stain seemingly didn't penetrate enough in a couple of places where the rails and stiles are glued together. They are showing up as light-colored spots.

How do I deal with this? Is there a way to remove or hide the glue spots without wrecking the rest of the existing finish? I have not applied a clear-coat yet, but am planning to use Minwax wipe-on polyurethane.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
    Last edited by Jason White; 05-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.

I'm not sure how it'll impact the finish but oil is usually easy to fix. Try some hot water and a toothbrush or pick up some DeGloo (DeGlue?). It is a thick gel designed to soften yellow glue.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Try putting a little more stain on the spots and sanding it in using ~400 wet-or-dry abrasive. Sometimes it helps to adhere the abrasive to a stick of wood with spray adhesive so you can localize your sanding. I usually wipe down my projects with naptha before finishing to help find any glue spots.

I had that very idea last night and have to say it worked pretty well!

I dipped some 220-grit wet/dry sandpaper into the stain and gently rubbed the areas with the glue spots being careful to go with the grain and not sand across the joints. I then used a clean rag to wipe away the grit from the sandpaper and wiped some more stain onto the wood until I couldn't see the glue spots anymore.

Not sure if this trick works with all types of wood and finishes, but it worked great in my situation.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wease View Post
    Try putting a little more stain on the spots and sanding it in using ~400 wet-or-dry abrasive. Sometimes it helps to adhere the abrasive to a stick of wood with spray adhesive so you can localize your sanding. I usually wipe down my projects with naptha before finishing to help find any glue spots.