Thread: powermatic question & pre-gloat

powermatic question & pre-gloat

Ok, I finally pulled the trigger on a new lathe...Powermatic Gold This will be an incredible upgrade from my vintage Craftsmen tube lathe...although I will no longer be able to blame the equipment for my turning shortcomings...
    Lathe had to be ordered and delivery is likely to be in 2 or 3 weeks. At almost 800 pounds, I wanted to get this before we have any serious snowfall, so I can get it into the shop a little easier....which leads to my questions...
    Does anyone here have some experience with receipt of one of these as crated from the factory? Are the legs on and the entire unit bolted to a pallet, or is the bed bolted down, and the legs unattached (and headstock, etc..) Trying to envision what I will need to unload this baby and get it in to the shop (walk out door, so access is easy, until we have a lot of snow). Any pics you may have will be helpful...Of course I will also take pics when it arrives, and make the requisite posting to keep the pic police away...

Heading down another slippery slope I may even have to take a trip to PA to take some lessons in bowl turning from Bill G. (to supplement the DVD of course) Bill - will you teach people who turn on gold colored machines?

Thanks,
    Roger

I ordered the 3520 about a year ago. It came fully assembled, except for the toolrest, in one box, bolted to a pallet bottom.

I removed the tailstock, then the headstock. A 2x4 fits nicely between the rails when inserted from the end. That makes a handy prybar for moving the remainder of the machine. I lifted the bed, one end at a time, and slid horses under it. I was then able to unbolt the legs. Without the legs, I could lower the bed onto a wheelbarrow to move it to my shop. Then I reversed the process and added the heavy stuff back on.

I was working alone. If you have lots of friends and neighbors, you could probably move the bed and legs as a unit by putting a strong back or two on each end. Make sure your 2x4's are solid; this is one heavy piece of iron!

I can't wait to hear how you like that lathe. I've seen it at the local dealer and I see that as a shoe in for my next lathe. When I'm ready to step up that is. GOOD LUCK

Hi Roger

Congratulations on the new machine! We are color blind around here when it comes to lathes. In fact, I just brought an ugly green one into the shop. I cannot say too much about the lathe you are buying except that I turned on that model for an afternoon, and I think you will really like it.

Bill

Roger,
    Pics of how I unloaded mine are in a thread titled "Gloat--Many thanks to my Johnson... " which I posted on 05-01-04. (Haven't figured out how to link you to the thread). I didn't break the machine down and managed to get it off the truck by myself. Good luck. You made a good choice.
    Ted

Roger, it ships built up as folks said, but you can pretty much totally disassemble it if you need to for moving into your shop. You'll still need help with the bed, etc., but the individual pieces are a lot less hefty than the sum of the parts!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks all....I have a large door at ground level to the shop, so access isn't an issue (until we have snow) but loading and unloading were my questions. Fortunately my neighbor across the way has a John Deere with the forks on the front, and we used that yesterday to unload another heavy piece of iron (gloat and pic forthcoming in the next few days) although it only weighed in at 450...I understand i should expect 900# for the lathe...he says we can use the big green machine again.

Bill...I'll be getting a DVD of this big guy in PA, but I know I'm going to want some hands on instructions in turning bowls...luckily my company makes me travel to PA frequently, and we have a big operation in Bethlehem...so, we will be in touch...

Jim...your turning progress has been an inspiration (as is your case work), and I'm still kicking myself for not buying your oneway when you sold it...but this will ease the pain....

Roger

Roger...I think you'll ultimately be much happier with the PM3520A than you would have with the OneWay 1018. Both are excellent machines, but 20" is a lot more than 10" when it comes to bowls 'n things! BTW, I'm only 50 miles from Bethlehem in case you want to make a field trip down this way sometime.