Thread: I wish I could communicate

Red face I wish I could communicate

Been pretty busy lately trying to get things done outside before the snow settles in. Here is one of my projects that ties the house and workshop together.

I needed to be able to hear my wife when I am out in the workshop. Looked at intercoms between the two buildings but after pricing everything out, decided to put in a phone system. Jim Becker can drool all he wants but I also used to work for Avaya.

Still pulling all the wires (network as well as phone) and need to dress them up. I was NEVER going to put in a PBX so did not wire the house correctly when I built it. Boy am I sorry .

Here is a picture of the PBX and one of the phones - yes this is a gloat .

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woo hoo!! Very nice having a Partner system in the house, Robert. While I'm happy with the multi-line, multi-set Panasonic wireless handset system I use now, I will likely put in a small PBX when I eventually get my office out over the shop and have a weather-proof conduit stuffed with com cables taken care of. I'll likely go with the IP Office Small Office Edition if I can get a good deal as it opens up a few other things that I'd like to take advantage of from a high-tech standpoint.

And for you folks wondering about Robert's comments about the wiring, many houses are not wired with home-runs for telephone cables...and loops will not do for this kind of thing as every phone needs it's own dedicated wire. Even with plain old $15 Walmart analog phones, you are better off with home-runs for your wiring. Much easier to trouble-shoot, too. So if you are wiring up for communications, use Cat 5 or better cable for everything and make all cables home-runs back to a central panel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice for sure. I do prefer the old way. That of course being, if the wife needs me for something, she can come down to the shop and get me. It keeps her looking good. Still has the same build she had when I married her 39 years ago. 5' 4" and 110 lbs. Lookin good!!