Thread: Dear Santa, I would like a Tormek...

Dear Santa, I would like a Tormek...

Rumor has it Santa will be getting me a Tormek when The Woodworking Show comes to Detroiit in a couple weeks. Sharp Tools USA includes the stone grader, but what other accessories are a must to get started? The cover? The stone truing jig?

I'll be using it for chisels and plane blades.

Matt,
    I never had the need for the stone truing jig until I started doing turning tools. I was always very careful however to use the entire width of the stone and keep the blade moving back and forth.

Mark

Matt,

It should come with the basic chisel/ plane blade jig. I have the Flat tool rest which is not pricey and very good. I also have the planer blade jig...you can wait on that , it is $$$ but does a good job. A diamond truing tool will be necessary soon.....to keep the stone true. The profile honing wheel is really nice for gouges especially tight ones.I have the knife jig..which works very well. You will need mineral oil for the honing strop wheel ..local pharmacy and the honing paste from Tormeck. Eventually a Multi Jig or Fingernail Jig if you are a carver.

I use a technique where I use a heavy blue marker on the edge...then slowly turn the wheel by hand and see where the blue is removed....that is the best way to check the bevel location and angle prior to turning on the machine.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thumbs up OH Santa ... Me Too!! Me Too !!

Started dropping subtle hints to Santa LOML already. We were talking about Christmas the other day, so I left a Woodcraft Catalog on her pillow, opened to the Tormek page with the proper parts numbers highlighted in yellow. Think that was too subtle ??
    Tony

Matt -

Check the accessory kits that are available and what is in them that you will get the most use from. After that, buy the individual components as the other kits will have some dupicates in them.

I got the Cabinetmaker's Master Kit. It includes the Jointer/Planer Blade Jig (which I was most interested in), Diamond Stone Dresser, Stone Grader, Honing Compound, Pro Angle Master, Handbook and Tormek Cover.

Since then I have picked up individual items: a Tool Rest - for turning scrapers and cabinet scrapers. (Also works for other tools that I don't have); a Universal Gouge Jig - for fingernail turning gouges; a Multi Jig - for roughing gouges, skew chisels, and parting tools.

Even with trying to use the whole face of the wheel as you sharpen to minimize the need for truing, it will still be required. When you sharpen turning tools the stone will need to be trued more often, so the truing tool is essential.

Next on my list is the Knife Jig.

Before the show, check your prices on individual components that are most important to you. You can get a package deal that will save you a little money. And you are also open for additional presents for other accessories in the future.

Have fun,
    Ted

ps Make sure there is a video in the box with the basic grinder. Very valuable info on the individual jigs in action. Probably will be running on a monitor at the booth during the show.

Me too!

Santa....please put my name on this list too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....