Thread: Natural Edge Bowl

Natural Edge Bowl

This wild black cherry natural edge bowl is 16 1/4 inches wide X 9 inches high, finished with oil then buffed. The small cracks were filled with brass fillings from the hardware store where they make keys then zapped with thin CA glue. Comments and questions are welcomed.
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 10-12-2005 at 6:07 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Beautiful!! I just love anything done in cherry, and your bowl is very, very nice. I just ordered Bill Grumbine's video, so I should be able to make one of those next week, the day after I get it. Well, maybe in a year or so...
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Glenn that is outstanding. You must have a big lathe to turn a bowl that big.
    Maybe someday I will hit the lottery or strike oil.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I studdied under Mr. Bill, if you are new to turning I would think that buying his DVR would be a big help. I know I use his tips every day. I would imagine his DVR to be like his teaching, down to earth, easy to understand, practical, the kind you can take to the shop and use when you watch it, and you will probably get a lot more that what you pay for. Now these words are not an attempt to get a free video, or another free meal, but just a real satisfied Grumbine customer.

Thank you for the comments about the bowl I posted. I guess you can tell I really do like wild black cherry.

The lathe I use is just like the one Bill Grumbine uses, it is a Poolewood Euro 2000, with a 20 inch swing, and an outboard turner which I use often. With Mr. Bill's help in locating it, I was able to buy it used.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Brautiful stuff Glenn!

Bruce

Glenn, your work is always beautiful and inspiring. The finish and depth in the cherry is so rich. Did you use your secret witch's brew to finish? What did you sand to? Thank you for sharing...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thanks Michael, yes I used the witches brew for the oil finish, and I sanded to 800 grit. I believe Mr. Bill is selling DVD's rather than DVR's, my, mistake. The bowl was turned about a year ago, and has taken on that dark rich color that I like with wild cherry. I am turning some of the same tree today which is now spalted, and it has some beautiful surprises. These bowls will not be natural edge bowls. I wonder if anyone has tried to dry a natural edge bowl with the new alcohol method?
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Glenn,
    Nice work as always. You are pretty inventive when it come to those cracks! first coffee now brass what won't you use?

Very nice bowl!!!

WOW! Beautiful!
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

That's just gorgeous, Glenn! I'd say you must've been one of Bill's more outstanding students! Got the DVD on order and, if it can get me even a little part of the way there, money well spent! Always have enjoyed your work and this is no exception! Keep those pics coming!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Glenn.....that bowl is a piece of art....absolutely gorgeous! I don't do spinny things (yet) and after observing your work I don't know if I want to.....you set the standards too high!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The word that comes to mind immediately is OUTSTANDING. That wild black cherry is just beautiful and the workmanship ain't bad either....
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Thanks again for all your kind remarks, you all have me blushing. I can not take credit for the wood, it was given to me by a neighbor, Mr. E. Hendley. I give him credit for the wood on the bottom of each bowl I make from the wood he gave me. He died one month ago, but his name will live for a long time....as long as these wild black cherry bowls from his farm last.
    Last edited by Glenn Hodges; 11-21-2004 at 5:34 PM.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia