Thread: which one, router lift or plate?

which one, router lift or plate?

I asked a few days ago for suggestions about which router to get for a router table. I appreciate all the responses that I received.

I now have another question. Which would you get, a router lift or just get a plate for my router? What are the advantages and disadvantages (other than price) of each?

Thanks
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 11-20-2004 at 9:38 PM.

John. I guess it all depends. If you are looking for versatility, you would have to consider a plate with a router that adjusts thru the top.
    If it is going to be a dedicated setup, another possibility is to buy only the router motor and put it in a lift.
    I have 2 PC 8529's Both are easy to disassemble and put into the router plate, or remove them for hand use.
    It's hard to wrong either way, IMO. Look at your budget and go with what feels right.

I'm a fan of a lift, but there is an obvious economic factor involved. The lifts make adjusting cutter height a pleasure and generally give you more of a "shaper" experience. But there is no reason you can't just use a plate and make your adjustments manually...and it's a lot less expensive that way. Either way, buy a good product and metal is the way to go, IMHO. Less flex.

Of course, there is one other option...use a plunge router that allows for "above the table" adjustment with a crank. Some come with that feature available from the factory and there is also a "universal" (sorta) crank available.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

PC7518 Router in a Bench Dog cast iron lift; you will not find a better combination

woodpecker

I have been looking at the woodpecker unilift. Does anyone have any experience using this lift?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    PC7518 Router in a Bench Dog cast iron lift; you will not find a better combination
    Except maybe the one from Woodpecker's.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I vote for the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty
    I have been looking at the woodpecker unilift. Does anyone have any experience using this lift?
    Yes John, I am on my second PRL and it is becoming difficult to raise and lower again. There is something wrong with the material in the bearing surface of the crank. Sawdust doesn't seem to affect it, it is a plastic to aluminum problem of some kind. Woodpecker replaced it once, but I think I will go back to my simple Woodhaven plate that takes a lot less time to lift out and change the bit versus trying to dangerously crank close to a very sharp bit. I am going to ask for my purchase price back and see what happens.

Why not kill two birds with one stone. Get a Milwaukee 5625-20 router. It's great in a router table and includes built-in above the table height adjustment.
    Ken