Thread: Bandsaw gloat and questions

Bandsaw gloat and questions

Well I just picked up a Laguna LT 16 yesterday from a guy who wasn't using it because his older craftsman saw was easier to change the blades on.... Anyways, this was built in 1994 and came with 3x 3/4" blades and 2x 1/4" blades, which appear to be Laguna shear force blades and what looks like a kreg resaw fence minus the blue anodizing. One of the blades has "resharpen" written on it in sharpie, but overall I think that I did pretty well, getting the lot of it for $500. The question part of it is can these blades be resharpened or am I better off just getting the 2 for 1 deal on the resaw king blades since the blades are 124" long. I watched the video here: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...aw-blades.html about resharpening the blades but I'm wondering if I would be better off to just get new blades and save these for something else where I don't want to worry about screwing up a good blade. Question #2 is does anyone know of any modifications to these that are recommended? I was planning on adding a link belt and perhaps a dust collector hookup next to the lower guides like the newer models, but didn't know if there was anything else I should look at. FWIW, the guides are roller guides, not the newer Laguna guides. And for the usual proof or it didn't happen, see below. The colors aren't my favorite, but it works well, so I'll survive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That definately deserves a:

YOU SUCK!!

As for the blades use them and answer your own question. If you plan to resaw you need to have a Trimaster or a Resaw King in your future.

As for the link belt and extra DC port again I say use it then determine if you need them.

The other upgrades would be, make sure the lower wheel has a brush on it (not sure if they did in that vintage), then consider the new guides and Driftmaster fence.

Congrats! Very nice!

What size is the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by dan mahler View Post
    Congrats! Very nice!

What size is the motor?
    According to the nameplate, 1.8hp, running on 220v. I saw that the current model has a 3HP.... wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    That definately deserves a:

YOU SUCK!!

As for the blades use them and answer your own question. If you plan to resaw you need to have a Trimaster or a Resaw King in your future.

As for the link belt and extra DC port again I say use it then determine if you need them.

The other upgrades would be, make sure the lower wheel has a brush on it (not sure if they did in that vintage), then consider the new guides and Driftmaster fence.
    There is a brush on the lower wheel and the tires are in good condition. I'll really get to put it through its paces in a few weeks when I make my big move back home and will decide on upgrades then.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't get overly worried about the bandsaw horsepower... blade quality and setup are more important unless you're running a power feeder. I would definitely upgrade to the newer Laguna ceramic guides, they make a big difference. Skip the blade sharpening & get some new blades. I do not have any vibration issues with my Laguna that would warrant a link-belt, YMMV.

Great nab! I want it!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Good Find! Check out the colors... that must be army issue I dig it... I second the Laguna guides, super nice, very little fidgeting required. Super great deal too, now if I could find a second Laguna 16 at that price, I'd be broke again I'm gonna +1 on the YOU SUCK!!!

Yeah man you've done good! That's a great find and even the older Laguna stuff is tough to beat. With the new guides you'll have a top notch BS that i'd be very jelouse of. I've been looking for a find like that for months on Craigs List and other classifieds. One of the most used tools in any true craftsman's shop and you got a beaut.

And I was happy to get my crappy jet for $125.

I think it is going to be nothing but trouble. I'll give you $550.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    And I was happy to get my crappy jet for $125.

I think it is going to be nothing but trouble. I'll give you $550.
    Well I was going to buy a jet for $200 with no blades but he sold it before I could buy it. Glad that one fell through! The guy I bought it from said that he had 10 people who were interested in it, so hopefully I didn't scoop any SMCers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I wouldn't get overly worried about the bandsaw horsepower... blade quality and setup are more important unless you're running a power feeder. I would definitely upgrade to the newer Laguna ceramic guides, they make a big difference. Skip the blade sharpening & get some new blades. I do not have any vibration issues with my Laguna that would warrant a link-belt, YMMV.
    It's more the 16 year old rubber belt with little use. I had a belt break on a table saw once and it scared the bejusus out of me so I'm [perhaps overly] proactive about replacing the belts before they fail, even if they look fine. It looks like about a 5 minute job and I have the amount of belt needed lying around, so if it makes my paranoia better, I'll probably end up doing it. If I get the 2 new blades for $150 and the new guides for $280 (any SMC deal on those?), I'll still be in for less than 1K. The driftmaster would be nice, but I'm going to see how the kreg fence works first. I already have some ideas about using the channel on the fence to mount a movable lamp, but it doesn't look like I could do the same with the driftmaster.