Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Husky version of the Kreg ToolBoxx

1. The Husky version of the Kreg ToolBoxx

Sometimes I feel like I'm always the last to find out about ____ (and fill in the blank with whatever the hot topic is!
    A post on here a few weeks back mentioned that there is a Husky brand cantilever toolbox sold at Home Depot that is an exact clone of the Kreg ToolBoxx. Apparently this is well known throughout the woodworking community. Well, it was the first I heard of it. I almost bought Kreg ToolBoxx just to keep everything together, even though I already have acquired the contents of it separately. At some point Kreg offered their toolbox empty, well, I guess I missed the boat on that one too!
    So after a trip to Home Depot to pick up the Husky toolbox - FYI, but you probably already know this, they have two versions of this toolbox, the difference is in the depth of the bottom box and how many removable trays come in the top tray (the shallow bottom version has 15 top compartments, the deeper version has 11). Get the deeper version, if you haven't already, it will hold the K3 mounted on a board - with the shallower version the K3 alone will have to lay on it's side to get the lid closed. Then I made another stop at Lowes to get some Kreg screws to fill out the compartments I now have my own version of the ToolBoxx...
    I have in it 3300+ screws, the K3, a Micro, a Rocket and HD jigs, (2) right-angle clamps and (2) face clamps along with a Kreg shelf jig I picked up on a whim...
    The older Kreg screws are brown in color, but it appears that all new Kreg screws are now zinc coated. The washer part of the zinc screws is also slightly larger then the older brown colored screws. I don't know when this change was made, as it's been a while since I purchased any pocket screws.
    The toolbox holds everything nicely, albeit fully loaded it's heavy! Those boxes of HD screws add a bit of weight to that side. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it... I can see why Kreg choose this toolbox design; the screws are easy to get to and there's also enough room in the top tray for a few extra drill bits and square bit drivers.
    My one complaint (because nothing's perfect!) is that there's no room in the bottom for a drill....
    That's a 1/2" Milwaukee Magnum and it's just a bit too large to fit.
    Or even a 3/8" drill...
    That's a 3/8" Black&Decker Holgun (probably one of the first 'profession grade' tools I bought back in the mid 70's) and while it looks like it fits from that angle in reality the lid won't close. It sticks about an inch above the bottom compartment and keeps the lid from closing.
    If there was a way to get a drill in there, then it really would be a complete grab-and-go pocket hole toolbox. Now I guess I could take out the boxes of HD screws from the bottom, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having everything altogether in one location!
    The empty remnants from about 2,500 screws...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. A breakdown of the assortment of Kreg screws in there:
    100 - SPS-F075 (MicroJig 3/4")
    400 - SPS-F1 (coarse 1")
    1300 - SML-C125 (coarse 1-1/4")
    750 - SML-F125 (fine 1-1/4")
    300 - SML-C150 (coarse 1-1/2")
    150 - SML-C200 (coarse 2")
    150 - SML-C250B (coarse 2-1/2")
    250 - HD 2-1/2" (coated)
    Well, all those empty screw containers didn't completely go to waste...
    They provide good labeling by just cutting the front cover flap off.
    Last edited by Tony Haukap; 09-26-2013 at 2:02 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bet you a nickel you won't be able to put all your Kreg stuff in it within 6 months.

It's addictive,
    Rick Potter

PS: Have you seen the new automatic adjust Kreg clamps yet? Hee, hee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    Where did you get the Kreg logos to cover over the Husky name?

Tony - I have the deep Kreg version. I use to have the K3 in a case and a Stanley case with the screws. This new one is nice but on the large size and heavy. Nice having everything in one case but I find if I take out the jig the cantilevered lid wants to tip the case over - do you have this issue?

Thanks,

Mike

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Bet you a nickel you won't be able to put all your Kreg stuff in it within 6 months/
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I might end up putting all the HD stuff in a small box all by itself - I have the plastic box that came with the K3 kit that's now empty - it seems like it would be just about the perfect size for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    Where did you get the Kreg logos to cover over the Husky name?
    The "Kreg" logos came from the outer cardboard packaging on the K3MS box - I got lucky for once, they were just the right size - I cut them out and pasted them over the "Husky" nameplate with silicon adheasive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I find if I take out the jig the cantilevered lid wants to tip the case over - do you have this issue?
    This toolbox has these "legs" molded onto the back of the cantilever lid, otherwise with all that screw weight in there it would flip over tea kettle! Somewhere I saw where it says it can hold 50 lbs, I don't have any way to weight it, but I'm sure it's pretty close to that now.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-27-2013 at 9:03 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    This toolbox has these "legs" molded onto the back of the cantilever lid, otherwise with all that screw weight in there it would flip over tea kettle! Somewhere I saw where it says it can hold 50 lbs, I don't have any way to weight it, but I'm sure it's pretty close to that now.
    Just checked - mine has those legs too! I'm thinking I must have had it on the edge of my bench or something because I sure remember almost spilling it. (Now I like the case even more).

Mike
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-27-2013 at 9:03 AM.

Yep I did the exact same thing about a year ago. Already had some Kreg stuff and found the deep box at HD. It is full now and very heavy! The original shallow Kreg / HD box just doesn't work well.

I have 3 different sizes of the same box. 1 carries the Kreg, 1 carries the ramset and a variety of loads and pins. And I have to go to the shop to figure out what is in the last one. All 3 are from different suppliers.

Tony,
    You really got my interest up with the tool box. I went to the HD site, is this the 22" wide box version for $25.00 ??

Thanks, Ed

I have one of these with all my small plumbing supplies and tools (pipe cleaner, tubing cutter, PEX fittings, PEX crimper, etc.) and one with all my small electrical supplies and tools. They hold a ton of stuff in an organized fashion.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edwards View Post
    Tony,You really got my interest up with the tool box. I went to the HD site, is this the 22" wide box version for $25.00 ??
    The website shows $30 bucks for either one and I think that's what I paid at my local store for it.
    The deep bottom version is...
    Husky 22 in. Cantilever Plastic Tool Box with Metal Latches
    Model # 17187311 Internet # 202021302 Store SKU # 233665 $29.97 / each
    And the shallow bottom is here...
    Husky 22 in. Cantilever Plastic Organizer with Metal Latches
    Model # 17185073 Internet # 202021301 Store SKU # 770298 $29.97 / each
    You won't be disappointed in it, it's a well made toolbox (made in Israel, if I remember correctly).
    Last edited by Tony Haukap; 09-30-2013 at 3:34 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I believe they are made by Ketter, an Israeli firm. I have a couple of theirs, and they seem to be the same. They make some nice stuff.

Rick Potter

I picked one up today. Bigger than I expected. Seems pretty good for $30. Now I can unload Kreg screws from the cardboard boxes and tidy up the tools. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if retailers notice an uptick in sales when we get going on a topic like this. A lot of us are tool/accessory junkies (at least I am), and hearing that guys you respect own and like something is about all I need to pick one up.