Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jessem's new dowel jig WOW!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jessem's new dowel jig WOW!!!!

Now this is not your mother's little doweling jig, this is built like a tank and a very good tank at that.

When you get it and open the box you say no way, that is just to big and heavy, but once you start to use it, its a whole new ball game. It is very easy to use and the size and weight are just fine. It is very accurate, spot on every time.

It works much like a DowelMax, you have a reference plate and each end is a reference surface. As long as you are using those references you just can't go wrong.

In use it is very easy to use, place it on the board, line up the edge with an end and drill your holes. It can be used on the edge of a board, the face of a board or in the middle of a large board. One of the really nice things is you do not have to use shims to get it set the way you want it. There is a scale on the side that shows you just how far the edge is from the center of the whole.

So you measure the width of your board and then divided it in half and set the scale on the side for that. So with a 3/4 in board you would set the scale at 3/8 and this will put the hole in the center. But if your board is not exactly 3/4 no problem, you will be using the reference surface for all your holes and this will make sure they line up.

To change from edge to face just unscrew the Allen screws from the locking plate and then screw it to the bottom of the reference plate and you are set to go.

If you need to put some holes in the middle of a large board, no problem. Unscrew both the reference plate and the clamp plate and you can just line it up with the center mark on the unit. The one pictured on the Jessem web site does not have the center line, this was added after the pictures were take and will be on every unit they sell.

The knobs that tighten it down are big and easy on your fingers. It does come with a plug for spacing and also a set of rods so you can do indexing. From emails to Jessem this my be changed in the future to a single rod. The two rod system is not as handy as a single rod in that it is a little harder to change and move from one side to the other. To change the indexing now and keep the setting you must loosen one set screw and unscrew one rod, then rotate the stop bracket and rod at the same time, then do the same in reverse to put it on the other side.

Overall, I really like it, it is large and has weight to it but as a said, this is not a problem, in fact it is nice to have that weight at times.

P5174167.jpg P5174168.jpg

P5174170.jpgP5174171.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 05-17-2010 at 8:24 PM.

Very nice. Have been waiting on a review.

So, Bill, I know you're a big DowelMax fan...what say you on which one you like best now? (not to put you on the spot! hahaha)
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Since you already had the Dowelmax jig I'm curious why you bought the Jessum unit?

Since you already had the Dowelmax jig I'm curious why you bought the Jessum unit? Was there a limitation you wanted to overcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schapansky View Post
    Since you already had the Dowelmax jig I'm curious why you bought the Jessum unit? Was there a limitation you wanted to overcome?
    At this point I am a tester and it looks like I will sell the DowelMax and buy the Jessem before long.

Bill,

Are any of the retailers selling this yet?

James

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Bill,

Are any of the retailers selling this yet?

James
    I am not sure but I think you can order them from Jessem Direct.

http://www.jessemdirect.com/JessEm_D...ig_p/08300.htm

What are the comparative prices between the two? I have long considered buying the Dowel Max when I got some cash and needed it for a project, but haven't seen pricing for a few years.

And, how would you rate this vs. OTHER methods of cutting/installing floating tenons?
    Thanks!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    What are the comparative prices between the two? I have long considered buying the Dowel Max when I got some cash and needed it for a project, but haven't seen pricing for a few years.

And, how would you rate this vs. OTHER methods of cutting/installing floating tenons?
    Thanks!
    I have the Mortise Pal but I really don't use it that much, dowels are so much faster and easier to do then making a mortise and tenons.

I guess I am not at the point of being a real craftsman and doing mortise and tenons, they are nice but the stuff I build the dowels have worked really well.

The Mortise Pal will do dowels but its not that good at it. The thing with the Jessem and the DowelMax is the way they set the reference surfaces. This makes both of them very accurate.

Now I really can not comment on the other systems like the Festool but then again all of these are less then half the cost.

Mortise Pal - $169, will do dowels but not that flexible in doing them
    DowelMax - $310 will do everything with a dowel
    Jessem - $199 will do everything with a dowel

Great review! I know you've been a big Dowel Max fan so the fact you're talking about selling the DM and keeping the Jessem speaks volumes.

Bill -
    Great review. You should take over for Workshop Demos!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Blog Entries
    leave it to Jessem to make a high end dowel jig, very S W E E T !!

might have to put that on my wish list. ssshhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    leave it to Jessem to make a high end dowel jig, very S W E E T !!

might have to put that on my wish list. ssshhhhh
    I have heard that are coming out with a new router lift also, just have to wait and see on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    So, Bill, I know you're a big DowelMax fan...what say you on which one you like best now? (not to put you on the spot! hahaha)

At this point I think I will keep the Jessem, it is just more of a tool then the DowelMax. Don't get me wrong, I still love my DowelMax but the Jessem is just built stronger.

I also like the fact that I have room to add to the Jessem and the fact that you do not have to use shims to adjust it.