Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jessem's new dowel jig WOW!!!!

Very nice evaluation of the new JessEm Dowelling Jig Bill. I have one and I agree with all of your comments. It is a beautiful tool - so beautiful that my first project after receiving it is to build a fitted storage case for it so it won't be banging around in some drawer getting all scratched up.

Robert, 'Fess up, now! You ain't one a dem Jessem testers, now are ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Very nice evaluation of the new JessEm Dowelling Jig Bill. I have one and I agree with all of your comments. It is a beautiful tool - so beautiful that my first project after receiving it is to build a fitted storage case for it so it won't be banging around in some drawer getting all scratched up.

That folks is tool love!

Eureka!

I figured it out.......Bill and Robert....are the only two guys who returned that card to that club that wanted $12.95 a year to join and they would send you tools to test! I just trashed the card!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-20-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think we should change the name of this forum to youcantwin dot com.
    Funny.
    But in reality I think we all win here. Thanks for the reviews, inventions, knowledge and sometimes for the down right funny humor. And thanks for having thick skin at times.
    The Plane Anarchist

Hey - I buy JessEm products - I have their sliding table and miter guage and now the dowelling jig. I like their tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    I haven't got mine made yet but I have some basic drawings of what I want.
    The problem I am having is which color of velvet to use, black, red or green.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Eureka!

I figured it out.......Bill and Robert....are the only two guys who returned that card to that club that wanted $12.95 a year to join and they would send you tools to test! I just trashed the card!
    You mean you didn't return that card, I have so many tools coming in to test I am going to have to get a bigger shop.

Bill thanks for the review. In looking at the pictures of the Jessem, to adjust to the center you must measure the width of your wood and set the jig. But in looking at the jig em I right in saying it clicks in to a grove in 1/8th inch increments? If so what if you’re wood doesn’t center into these increments. If I am not mistaken the DM is self centering and your wood would be centered exactly correct? As with the Jessem it could be off just a 1/16th correct? Or am I missing something?
    Thanks Richard

[
    Attachment 150956[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Bill thanks for the review. In looking at the pictures of the Jessem, to adjust to the center you must measure the width of your wood and set the jig. But in looking at the jig em I right in saying it clicks in to a grove in 1/8th inch increments? If so what if you’re wood doesn’t center into these increments. If I am not mistaken the DM is self centering and your wood would be centered exactly correct? As with the Jessem it could be off just a 1/16th correct? Or am I missing something?
    Thanks Richard

[
    Attachment 150956[/ATTACH]
    [/QUOTE]

The DowelMax and the Jessem are not self centering.

The way they both work is with a reference edge, so as long as you use that edge you will always have the dowels line up.

If your board is 7/8 inches the hole will be off center 1/16th on both jigs, if set for 3/4 inch, but it really makes no difference. When you drill the mating holes they will be off a 1/16 also, so everything will still line up just like it should.

The big difference is when you go to a wider board or want to have more then one row of holes. With the DowelMax you use spacers and with the Jessem you just move the reference block.

The use of a reference edge is what makes both of these jig so good.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 05-22-2010 at 11:57 PM.

I know I am reviving a somewhat old thread, but I wanted to ask Bill if he got the JessEm dowel jig, and if so, what he thought about it after using it for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I know I am reviving a somewhat old thread, but I wanted to ask Bill if he got the JessEm dowel jig, and if so, what he thought about it after using it for a little while.
    The DowelMax is gone now and I really liked the Dowelmax.

I have been using the Jessem now and do like it better then the DowelMax, I have found noting I can't do with it that I could with the DowelMax and the Jessem to me is easier to use.

I have found the more I use it the better I like it, the way it sets up with the marks on the side and not having to use spacers is a big part of it.

Well, I'm also late to the dance??? Not sure why I didn't see this before.
    Nice write up Bill. And to the others, I'm one that was with Ken and Bill at the Rockler store, and it was a hoot. But somehow I'm remembering a beverage mentioned by the employee that started with the letter before 'C'. After all, it was a little late for breakfast fare!
    I have hooked up with Bill on a couple of occasions since then for short conversations and the borrowing and returning of a hunk of precision milled steel that helped me set up my new table saw. I will say this: Bill is one stand up human being. You can bank on the words he says as being true and from the heart. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    Of course I've been trying to justify the Dowelmax for about three years and around six months ago, finally pulled the trigger along with the 1/4" kit. Go figure.

It's a great jig, but like the stock market, my timing is off.

So if you were to drill dowels in the face of a large board you would use the reference edge of the jig to locate the front edge of say a internal cleat. But in order to use the scribed line on the side of the jig that marks the dowel center your workpiece would have to be EXACTLY match what the scale read when you drilled the cleat. I guess this is a minor issue but could see it being a bit awkward if you're using the jig in various situations.

Also I saw your fixture you made to clamp the dowel jig on the face of a large panel. Looks like they could have done a better job in this aspect.
    Last edited by Zane Moseley; 12-21-2010 at 8:31 PM.