Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jessem's new dowel jig WOW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Moseley View Post
    So if you were to drill dowels in the face of a large board you would use the reference edge of the jig to locate the front edge of say a internal cleat. But in order to use the scribed line on the side of the jig that marks the dowel center your workpiece would have to be EXACTLY match what the scale read when you drilled the cleat. I guess this is a minor issue but could see it being a bit awkward if you're using the jig in various situations.

Also I saw your fixture you made to clamp the dowel jig on the face of a large panel. Looks like they could have done a better job in this aspect.
    I think I understand the question.

When you are doing the face of a board both the clamp block and the reference block come off and you are just using the main body of the jig.

So you would make a center line where the dowels will go and then line up the center marks on the body with those marks. You can just clamp the body down or you can make a clamp like I did both work, the clamp I made is just a lot easier to use.

The cleat can be any thickness you want just as long as it is wide enough to hold the dowel. The holes will be 3/8" from the side of the cleat or you could set them back if you want.

I hope that answered your question.

I have not found anything I can't use it on to do doweling.

True the cleat can be any thickness. However its sounds as if the dowel holes in the cleat will only be centered if the thickness of the cleat directly corresponds to a value on the scale. With the dowelmax and jessem if the thickness is not a particular number the holes will still work as you reference an edge and a face. But in this case if the thickness isn't one of the predetermined numbers then face drilling a cabinet side using the scribe line will yield inaccurate results.

Probably not a huge issue but could lead to inaccurate heights of cleats and shelves. The error probably wouldn't be more than 1/32 or 1/16 at the most but it could make a difference with inset doors/drawer fronts.

I plan on buy a jig for simplifying joinery whether it be Jessem, Dowelmax or Mortisepal. Currently I'm leaning toward the Jessem and Mortisepal.

True the cleat can be any thickness. However its sounds as if the dowel holes in the cleat will only be centered if the thickness of the cleat directly corresponds to a value on the scale. With the dowelmax and jessem if the thickness is not a particular number the holes will still work as you reference an edge and a face. But in this case if the thickness isn't one of the predetermined numbers then face drilling a cabinet side using the scribe line will yield inaccurate results.

Probably not a huge issue but could lead to inaccurate heights of cleats and shelves. The error probably wouldn't be more than 1/32 or 1/16 at the most but it could make a difference with inset doors/drawer fronts.

I plan on buy a jig for simplifying joinery whether it be Jessem, Dowelmax or Mortisepal. Currently I'm leaning toward the Jessem and Mortisepal.
    If you use the reference then they will be spot on.

Lets say we have drilled some holes on the face and we have them on the center line. If you set the jig to 3/8" mark for the board to be attached then the holes will be center at that point.

So if you have a 7/8" board and you set the jig at the 3/8" mark the holes will be 3/8" from the side you use as the reference. So if you marked the face at the point you wanted the top of the board to be and then dropped down 3/8" from the center line you board will be just were you wanted it. Yes the holes are not centered but it really makes no difference.

That is the one area that you have to understand on both jigs, it does not matter if the holes are centered as long as you use the same reference side.

I have a Mortise Pal and it is a great tool for making mortises and it will do dowels but noting like you can do with the DowelMax or Jessem jigs.

One of the biggest differences in the DowelMax and the Jessem is you do not have to use shims on the Jessem like you do on the DowelMax. I have sold the DowelMax and now just use the Jessem and I am very happy with it.

Ok I see. I understand the reference edge/face idea of the Jessem/Dowelmax but face drilling was where I got off. At that point you can still use the reference edge but the reference face is removed so that you are allowed to drill the face. Just a bit more thinking involved to get things where you want. In your example of a 7/8" thick cleat attaching to a face of a large board I can see how you are not going straight for the centered scribe line but working backwards off the reference face on the cleat using the center line for guidance.

So looking at the differences between the Mortise Pal and Jessem jig I am starting to see where Jessem or DowelMax will have several advantages. The mortise pal can only do pieces up to 3" wide where the Jessem can self clamp up to a 4" piece but much larger using the face drilling that the Mortise Pal lacks. Then with the Mortise Pal you have to lay out the center of each mortise and use the centerline indicators to locate each mortise. This is not the end of the world but could introduce error. The reference faces of the Jessem will all but eliminate pieces not lining up. I think I'd also rather use a drill for extended periods of use instead of a router, less noise and mess.

Would you say the main advantages of the Jessem over the Dowelmax are:
    -Using a scale rather than the shims, less pieces to keep up with.
    -Large thumbscrews for clamping workpiece
    -Lower price

Would you say the main advantages of the Jessem over the Dowelmax are:
    -Using a scale rather than the shims, less pieces to keep up with.
    -Large thumbscrews for clamping workpiece
    -Lower price
    Both work the same way, as you stated the Jessem dose not have the shims and spacers to mess with and that is a big plus to me.

The knobs are bigger on the Jessem but then the whole tool is larger, the Jessem is just more of a robust tool.

Both of the jigs are very versatile and can be used for all kinds of doweling, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Bill when you got yours did you buy the 1/4 inch or the 3/8 ? Just wondered

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sayre View Post
    Bill when you got yours did you buy the 1/4 inch or the 3/8 ? Just wondered
    When you buy it, it comes with the 3/8 and you have to buy the 1/4 as an add on. I have both and use them both. I use the 3/8 the most but on smaller stuff I use the 1/4 and it would just the same.

I hafta agree with bill here just pulled te trigger on a Jessem a week or so ago and I absolutely love it. Didn't come with the greatest instructions but a little common sense and the goodies that come with it and you can get it done with a dowel in that thing. I have pretty much just moved strait to it now for my go to joining just quicker than biscuits or anything and strong to boot!!!

I'm pretty exited, I sold a PC biscuit joiner and used the paypal $$ to get 2 pair of knives for my DW735. I still had $60 left and on a whim I searched ebay today and found a Lamello dowel glue bottle brand new for only $59, it was used as a display model but I don't care. We have a couple of these at work and they are awesome. Hand gluing dowels seems tedious and time consuming.

I also have some guitar parts on ebay. When they sell I'm going to use the $$$ to pull the trigger on the Jessem. Where did you guys buy it?? I found KMS tool has the best price at $169 but I'm not sure if thats US or CAD currency. The shipping is a bit higher than Jessem Direct but its $30 cheaper on the base unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Well, I'm also late to the dance??? Not sure why I didn't see this before.
    Nice write up Bill. ... I will say this: Bill is one stand up human being. You can bank on the words he says as being true and from the heart. Jim.
    I'm even getting to the dance later than Jim.

Bill, if you say the Jessen dowel jig is a great tool I'm sold. Now I have to figure out a way to convince SWMBO that I need one. Seeing that my present tool budget is sitting at $0.00 it will take a while to come up with the $200 I need. Perhaps when I start on some furniture she wants in the bedroom will be a good time. I'll "need" one for what I'm planning to make. Thanks for the review.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Very nice evaluation of the new JessEm Dowelling Jig Bill. I have one and I agree with all of your comments. It is a beautiful tool - so beautiful that my first project after receiving it is to build a fitted storage case for it so it won't be banging around in some drawer getting all scratched up.
    I got mine done, works out very well.

jdj.jpg

That's very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    I'm even getting to the dance later than Jim.

Bill, if you say the Jessen dowel jig is a great tool I'm sold. Now I have to figure out a way to convince SWMBO that I need one. Seeing that my present tool budget is sitting at $0.00 it will take a while to come up with the $200 I need. Perhaps when I start on some furniture she wants in the bedroom will be a good time. I'll "need" one for what I'm planning to make. Thanks for the review.
    Now when you get one, it is a great tool, here or some other post to take a look at.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=dowel+jig

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=dowel+jig

This thread reminds me of the old saying, "Don't Mess With Texas!" Or, someone from Texas

I can say I read and respect all of Bill's posts. He and his experiences have helped me many times.

Here's a question that I didn't see addressed.

Bill, putting price aside, how does this jig compare to a Festool Domino?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    Here's a question that I didn't see addressed.

Bill, putting price aside, how does this jig compare to a Festool Domino?

Jim
    I am not sure I can compare them, I don't have a Domino so I am not sure just all it can do.
    I am sure the Domino would be great for most work when using loose tenons, that is all a dowel is, is a loose tenon. I guess we could get in to the old question which has the most strength but I think that one has been beat to death so I am not going there.

There are just a lot of places that I don't see using a Domino but as I stated I don't have one so I am not sure. Things were you only use one dowel, I don't see how the Domino would work for that or where you are putting in a dowel at an angle.

I think that speed would be a little faster with a Domino but the doweling jig is really fast.

I think I could use dowels anywhere you use a Domino but I could use dowels in place you can't use a Domino. Now you do have to remember that I have not built a lot of large furniture and maybe if I had I would want a Domino.

I guess I am a dowel freak, I use them for everything and they have been around for a long long time. If I was a production shop I would go with the Domino for most of the work, but I am just a hobby type woodworker so the dowel jig has done everything I need up to this point any way.

Now I know you said put price aside but that is really hard to do when there is $500 difference in them. There is a point you have to look at the price and how you can justify it, I just could not justify a Domino in any way.

So if you put both of them in front of me and told me I could have one or the other at no cost then I guess I would have to think on that awhile.

But I still think for my skill level and for the things I build I would have to pick up the Jessem Dowel jig.