Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jessem's new dowel jig WOW!!!!

Hay Bill your second post you recommended to look at does not come up?
    Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

They both came up for me, this is the second one.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=dowel+jig

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I am not sure I can compare them, I don't have a Domino so I am not sure just all it can do.
    I am sure the Domino would be great for most work when using loose tenons, that is all a dowel is, is a loose tenon. I guess we could get in to the old question which has the most strength but I think that one has been beat to death so I am not going there.

There are just a lot of places that I don't see using a Domino but as I stated I don't have one so I am not sure. Things were you only use one dowel, I don't see how the Domino would work for that or where you are putting in a dowel at an angle.

I think that speed would be a little faster with a Domino but the doweling jig is really fast.

I think I could use dowels anywhere you use a Domino but I could use dowels in place you can't use a Domino. Now you do have to remember that I have not built a lot of large furniture and maybe if I had I would want a Domino.

I guess I am a dowel freak, I use them for everything and they have been around for a long long time. If I was a production shop I would go with the Domino for most of the work, but I am just a hobby type woodworker so the dowel jig has done everything I need up to this point any way.

Now I know you said put price aside but that is really hard to do when there is $500 difference in them. There is a point you have to look at the price and how you can justify it, I just could not justify a Domino in any way.

So if you put both of them in front of me and told me I could have one or the other at no cost then I guess I would have to think on that awhile.

But I still think for my skill level and for the things I build I would have to pick up the Jessem Dowel jig.
    Bill,

Thanks. Sorry, I thought you were a Domino user.

My reason for asking was, I recently picked up a used(barely) Domino, and since I guess I'm a "tool freak", I thought just maybe I needed a JessEm dowel jig. I'm a hobby shop too and I think it has some real merit.

Thanks again for your past assistance.

Keep reviewing.

Jim

Thanks Bill, in your latest repost it works for me now…. not sure what the deal was.
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Bill, can the Jessem be used to dowel beveled corners for instance a beveled cabinet case? I was under the impression that you couldn't but your post comparing to a domino suggest that you can. I'm curious how you'd clamp the work piece in the jig as it has to be clamped at an angle. I can see how you could do a mitered picture frame as the face you have to clamp on is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Moseley View Post
    Bill, can the Jessem be used to dowel beveled corners for instance a beveled cabinet case? I was under the impression that you couldn't but your post comparing to a domino suggest that you can. I'm curious how you'd clamp the work piece in the jig as it has to be clamped at an angle. I can see how you could do a mitered picture frame as the face you have to clamp on is flat.
    As it comes no you couldn't but with an adapter you could do it, the adapter would not be much to make.

Well it appears that the distribution for the Jessem dowel jig pretty much sucks even after this much time on the market. There are NO distributors in the US that carry the jig, this is per Jessem's CS after I reviewed the online stock of the US sites on their "where to buy" section on their site. KMS in Canada has a decent price of $180 but has none in stock and has a 4 week lead time plus at least 1 week shipping, drop shipment is not an option. JessemDirect just raised their price to $230. I guess I'll have a long time to think of fixtures/jigs for this piece as I won't be seeing anytime soon. You'd think they'd make this piece accessible after spending a sizable amount of time designing and marketing it.

I will probably contact Jessem to see if they could ship a unit immediately at a discounted rate. It's probably a long shot but there's no way I'm paying an additional $50 to save a month, I'm not in that big of a hurry for the jig.

Bill,

I have been waiting for this to reach the retailers as well. Any info as to why this has not happened yet? I'm not suggesting that you should know. Just wondering if you did.

James

KMS in Canada has the jig for $180 but won't ship for 4 weeks which sucks. I emailed Tool Coral, Woodworker's Supply and Eagle America today to see if they could get me a price on the jig and the 1/4" bushing kit. Eagle America responded that they do not carry the jig and cannot order it for me, perhaps they have more business than they can handle lol. Woodworker's Supply seems interested in ordering it and I'm waiting on a price. I've not yet heard from Tool Corral.

I'm still debating whether or not I want the 1/4" jig. I guess I could see using it for drawer boxes but I'm not sure what else unless its thin stock applications. If I do get it I want to get it with the jig as this stuff is proving hard to get.

I understand that the Tool Corral should have them in stock next week.

http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/s...ml/index2.html

Thank you Bill. I will contact them next week.

James

I've been in contact with Brian Culwell @ Tool Corral. Earlier this week he was still checking pricing. Just today they have added the jig to their site at a good price http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/s...l/page152.html as well as adding the 1/4" bushing kit. I just ordered both the jig and the 1/4" kit, hell ya. I'm especially excited that he said they are expecting them in next week, everyone else has reported a 4 week lead time. I'm looking forward to using them to join the legs on my work bench I'm building. Woodworker's Supply can also get the jig but at a much higher cost and a 4 week lead time.

It appears the Jessem jig is taking its time getting into distribution, especially in the US. I'd be surprised if there are more than a couple dozen in the entire US.

Geez Bill the suspense is killing me. Good thing Tool Corral is supposed to be getting in their jigs this week, if he's BS'ing me and it will actually be 4 weeks I may die lol. Your pictures on the first page don't help. Looking at the Jessem next to the DowelMax almost make me feel bad for getting it for $180 when many have paid over $300 for the DowelMax. The Jessem just looks like a beast!

I've had to suppress my anxiety by ordering dowels and other related items. I just ordered 900 dowels from McFeely's. I also got a killer deal on a Lamelo glue bottle that arrived Friday. We have a couple at work and they work very well although they are very pricey. I got one off ebay that was a display model for just $60 and came with the biscuit tip and all 3 dowel tips. They usually sell for $90-$100 so I was happy with my find. Do you just squirt glue in your dowel holes or do you use a brush. Here's the Lamello bottle.

http://www.lamello.com/en/products/w...s/dosicol.html

Just as an FYI have had made a dowling jig purchase from KMS and have a tracking # that indicates it is currently in the state of WA on its way to me. I was prepared to wait for it to come in stock but it shipped the next day after I ordered. That was Thursday.

Well I thought I would have the doweling jig today. UPS showed it delivered and I couldn't wait to get home from work. So I opened the box and there sat a damn Pocket ZipSlot mortiser. But hey at least they put in the 1/4" bushing set I ordered. The CS with ToolCorral has been good so I'm sure they'll take care of me but I was really looking forward to playing around with it.