Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Jessem's new dowel jig WOW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I bought the new one when it came out and had it about a week and sold it to Phil Thien here on the Creek.
    I just like the way the old one worked better, it has the clamps made right into the jig and the new one you have to use a clamp on it.
    Bill,

I really hate to make the 1/2" bushing the only reason. It looks to me you get more for your money with the older one. Looks like an extremely nicely made template jig, and from the feedback, very accurate. If I buy one, the fact you were able to use both and sold the newer one puts a lot of emphasis on me buying the older one. These are not cheap, and I will probably only ever buy one. I don't know strength issues of 3/8" vs. 1/2", but the joint would have to be stronger if I used more dowels if using 3/8". Not too many people have a chance to use both ones, and this is a strong point for me going with the older one, which appears to me to be their top quality one in looking at it and the price structure.

I will be giving it some thinking over in next few days and maybe Jessem will be back with me on the longer dowel question.

thanks for all the help here, it is appreciated.

greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Brophey View Post
    Bill,

I really hate to make the 1/2" bushing the only reason. It looks to me you get more for your money with the older one. Looks like an extremely nicely made template jig, and from the feedback, very accurate. If I buy one, the fact you were able to use both and sold the newer one puts a lot of emphasis on me buying the older one. These are not cheap, and I will probably only ever buy one. I don't know strength issues of 3/8" vs. 1/2", but the joint would have to be stronger if I used more dowels if using 3/8". Not too many people have a chance to use both ones, and this is a strong point for me going with the older one, which appears to me to be their top quality one in looking at it and the price structure.

I will be giving it some thinking over in next few days and maybe Jessem will be back with me on the longer dowel question.

thanks for all the help here, it is appreciated.

greg
    You may want to PM Phil Thien and talk to him about the new one, he really likes it.

3. Concerning strength of dowels. They are not appropriate for heirloom quality. Other than that, they work pretty well. Aside from doweled chairs, which always come apart (as most lighter chairs do anyway, no matter what the joinery), when I find doweled furniture coming apart it usually has to do with abuse or poor design permiting excessive racking.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    Concerning strength of dowels. They are not appropriate for heirloom quality. Other than that, they work pretty well. Aside from doweled chairs, which always come apart (as most lighter chairs do anyway, no matter what the joinery), when I find doweled furniture coming apart it usually has to do with abuse or poor design permiting excessive racking.
    If dowel joinery is not suitable for "heirloom" quality, then why do so many true heirlooms from the 1600's forward still exist? If you will give me a big hammer and a few moments, I can demonstrate how no form of wood joinery is suitable for heirloom quality.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 04-27-2014 at 9:54 PM.