Thread: Wax

Wax

I want to mix my own wax, any recipes you like to share?

H

What are you finishing?

Beeswax is a good choice. The bees make it for you, why try to make your own?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Beeswax has a very nice odor but I think it needs to be mixed with a harder wax, such as carnuba or candilla. Similarly, those harder wax need the softness of something like beeswax to make them easier to apply.

Dissolving the wax in a solvent is the tough part, since you need to be very careful with heat--NO OPEN FLAME. As the solvent, some swear by turpentine, but it's mostly a question of whether you like the smell, which will disappate fairly quickly. Odorless mineral spirits is probably a better choice.

I will say, that it is likely to be much easier to find a good wax than to find the ingredients to formulate your own.

Axiom #114 - If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Axiom #178 - Sometimes it is cool to do things just to say I did it.

I like #178 but follow #114 as much as possible. Plus it is handy to plop down a 5 spot and walk out with a can every couple years.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I'm finishing a bed made out of cedrela odorata. And the finishing steps are:

- A touch with BLO.
    - A sealcoat with blonde shellac.
    - Three coats of WB Minwax Polycrylic.
    - Wax.

But the wax I can get over here, is rubbish; the amount of solvent is too high (the wax is almost liquid in the can) and the smell is awful.

I already got the beeswax, carnuba and candelilla; so...any ideas?

H

Why do you want to wax it? It will need to be re-waxed forever.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

The Minwax it's too shiny (and it's "satin").

H

Wax is, pretty much by it's nature, going to be shiny. The amount of solvent isn't relevant to the final result either. You just let it evaporate a minute longer before it is ready to be buffed. It's odor disappears very quickly.

A relatively large proportion of beeswax will be a bit less shiny, Carnuba and candellia will be a more shiny. Proportions are not critical at all, just try a couple of mixes and see what you like. But, if you aren't looking for shiny, then deep six the wax. It's almost entirely about appearance, not about protection, so if you don't like the look don't use it.

0000 steelwool will knock the shine down and will not need to be re-done, ever.
    Scott

Ok, I'll try the steel wool and a mix of wax; thanks for the input.

H