Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Driftmaster fence

Laguna Driftmaster fence

Finally got around to installing my Laguna Driftmaster fence on my bandsaw. Took me about 6 hours. I thought the instructions were vague as far as all the options for mounting it to the bandsaw table and reversing the handcrank to get it on the right. All the nylon insert lock nuts made assembly and unassembly on the various threaded rods a pain. The gigantic cast adapter blocks and special nuts were hard to install and are pretty ugly, but they seem to work great. I had to drill holes in my tables lip for these blocks. I spent about a half hour judging where to drill these holes only to realize after I started to install the thing that I could have located them better. Adjusting the fences base height to get it flush with the bandsaws table top along the entire length of the fences guide bar was also a pain. Also I am not crazy about how the fence can tip up and down vertically while relocating it before locking in down with the plastic adjustable handle. Once clamped down It seems ok though. As a side note, I have these type adjustable handles on some of my other European made machines and have replaced all the plastic ones with metal after one broke on me. From an installation standpoint, I am not very impressed. I did resaw some stuff with it though and it seems to work great. In the end, I feel maybe I am not as mechanically inclined as I thought I was. Maybe guys like me shouldnt be allowed to own wrenches
    Last edited by Mark Woodmark; 05-20-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Hi Mark.

Don't feel bad, I had the same problems when I installed the Drift Master on my Mini-Max 16" BS. Like you say, the instructions suck, and the pictures were shot in Dracula's workshop. Like you, it took me pretty much a full day to get the fence installed. And, like you I am happy with the results.

Enjoy your new toy.
    Best Regards, Ken

"Dracula's workshop"

That pretty much describes them. I found myself trying to get a better view with a magnifying glass. Ken, thanks for the comments. I dont feel so inept now

Mark, what saw do you have, I can't seem to remember though I am sure I have read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Mark, what saw do you have, I can't seem to remember though I am sure I have read it.
    Agazzani B-20

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Agazzani B-20
    I was stuck between the 18 and 20 and just couldn't remember, but I should have!!!

How does the Agazzani fair with the weight of the DM when the table is tilted?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I was stuck between the 18 and 20 and just couldn't remember, but I should have!!!

How does the Agazzani fair with the weight of the DM when the table is tilted?
    Havent tried that yet. I finished up the fence installation last night at about 12:30 am. Tried it out quick and went to bed

It's worth it though. You now have the most versatile bandsaw fence ever devised.

I did not have trouble installing it, other than the supplied bolts were not long enough. Yes, the supplied document was terrible. But I watched the youtube videos and figured it out.

But once installed, its awesome. What is funny is since I did not get the detailed documentation, I had NO idea there was a quick release mechanism for large movements of the fence. Just sat there cranking and cranking and...

Contact Tito at Laguna Tools (he hangs out in Deals & Discounts). He can email you the complete document. Yeah, it should have been in the box...

Mike

I only had to install and reinstall mine about 6 times and on a Laguna saw! You would think it would be a direct bolt up. Anyway after a few hours of messing with it, I finally gave in to the strange method they use to hold the bar to the saw table. However, it's been stable since Aug. 09 and works great. I love the quick release lever to rough in the fence, then locking the screw and then being able to sneak up on a cut with a turn or 2 of the crank. I do have some issues with the table lift, but I really don't move my tools tables often....messes up the known alignment. I try to use jigs instead.

I didn't have any problems installing it but I just didn't like how Laguna designed the mounting system for a non-Laguna saw. So I made my own mounting system. I tapped the apron of the bandsaw table, bolted on a 1/2 aluminum plate, added a couple of jack screws to square it to the table top, and bolted the fence to it. I enjoyed the project and I'm very satisfied with the fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I didn't have any problems installing it but I just didn't like how Laguna designed the mounting system for a non-Laguna saw. So I made my own mounting system. I tapped the apron of the bandsaw table, bolted on a 1/2 aluminum plate, added a couple of jack screws to square it to the table top, and bolted the fence to it. I enjoyed the project and I'm very satisfied with the fence.
    I like how you mounted yours, it looks very neat. I may rework mine and get rid of the stock sloted rube goldburg things that's included with the kit. I have the Laguna 14 SUV and it didn't fit mine. I don't know what saw it will bolt directly to. I assume one of there big ones.
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 05-20-2010 at 7:32 PM.

I can't say enough how much I love my driftmaster fence! However, I also can't say enough how lousey the directions were. I have no idea if I got the "complete" directions, I have a feeling I did. I really don't feel too bad at all, it only took me about 30 mins to install. But I think I read and reread all the "directions" until I had it deciphered. The pictures are completely worthless, I think my mechanical inclination is the only thing that saved my butt.

Laguna really needs to make a better manual for it, for the price that is paid for it, the directions are abhorrent!

So I didn't realize I could switch the handle to the right side. Looks like a royal PITA, What exactly is involved in that operation? If it involves a large amount of cussing and frustration, I will keep my serenity and live with it on the left LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    I can't say enough how much I love my driftmaster fence! However, I also can't say enough how lousey the directions were. I have no idea if I got the "complete" directions, I have a feeling I did. I really don't feel too bad at all, it only took me about 30 mins to install. But I think I read and reread all the "directions" until I had it deciphered. The pictures are completely worthless, I think my mechanical inclination is the only thing that saved my butt.

Laguna really needs to make a better manual for it, for the price that is paid for it, the directions are abhorrent!

So I didn't realize I could switch the handle to the right side. Looks like a royal PITA, What exactly is involved in that operation? If it involves a large amount of cussing and frustration, I will keep my serenity and live with it on the left LOL
    You just remove the end plate from one side and remove the end plate, hand crank, and threaded rod from the other side and reverse them. Its the only thing easy about the installation. When removing the endplates it is the bigger flat head machine screw that is centered on the rail and not the smaller one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    You just remove the end plate from one side and remove the end plate, hand crank, and threaded rod from the other side and reverse them. Its the only thing easy about the installation. When removing the endplates it is the bigger flat head machine screw that is centered on the rail and not the smaller one.
    Well this post has served me a good purpose. I didn't know the crank could be changed! I'm also considering a new lathe and it's down to the Jet and Laguna. I'm being reminded of some of the "little" pains of dealing with Laguna from this thread.