Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does Building Your Own Furniture Save Money?

Blog Entries
    I build and buy depending on what it is, my time frame and enjoyment of building a certain style. Removing the tools and supplies from the equation except for lumber and hardware; you can build a dresser, for example, for less than I would charge you to build a dresser of like quality. You can build that dresser for less than you can buy one of like quality. You cannot build it for less than a commercially produced product but, you can miss out on the enjoyment of building it. My .02

P.s. Do not let anyone who influences your tool and material buying see this thread
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-23-2010 at 2:04 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

2. Quote Originally Posted by Trever Williams View Post

We went shopping for them and they cost about $600. My wife said “Why don’t you just build one?” Never mind that it’s probably above my skill level but it got me to wondering if it would really save money. I haven’t priced hardwood lumber yet but I know its expensive. About how much do you think it would cost to build it out of cherry or mahogany?
    I'm guessing it is roughly 4' x 2' by at most 3' high (most TV stands are not that high)..

So, let's rough estimate.

One sheet of 1/2" plywood for drawer insides.. $20-50
    One sheet of 1/4" plywood for drawer bottoms and back.. $20
    One sheet of 3/4" plywood for sides.. $50-100
    Drawer fronts, face frame, top.. solid wood.. Let's say 25-30 board feet.
    This cost is highly variable, put it's probably between $1-6 per board foot for cherry.

So, yes, if you have the tools, you could definitely build for less than $600 (at least in my area), and have some plywood left over for other projects.

EDit: add in the cost for knobs and drawer slides if you are using commerical slides.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Building your own furniture isn't about saving money. It's about doing it your way, using the wood you want to use, and not having what everyone else has. Building your own is about using your skills to make something that you really really want.
    We have a Bingo!
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

4. Quote Originally Posted by Trever Williams View Post
    I don't count the cost of the tools or the cost of my time either. I have a few tools but I would really like to get a descent cabinet saw. It looks like I can get one for about $1000 on Craigslist. If I can offset the cost of that by building stuff we're going to need for the new house then it will be like I'm getting the saw for free. Not to mention the pride of building it myself and all the other benefits people mentioned. I don't think I'm ready to tackle a project like the TV console yet though. Most of my experience is in building construction, not fine woodworking, but I would really like to get into it. I guess I need to find out where to buy lumber around Dallas and figure out how much it costs.
    Don't be so scared to try this out.
    It's not that difficult.
    Look online or in magazines, there is detailed instructions.
    The first thing you make isn't going to come out perfect, but it will be "good enough".
    We all started with that first project "that mattered".

If it makes you feel any more comfortable, build a shop cabinet or two before building this.. but you dont' need years of practice to make a relatively simple TV stand. The picture you posted is pretty straightforward.

If cost is a concern, consider building out of oak instead of cherry as someone else suggested.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Billy Trinh View Post
    Building your own furniture might improve quality of similarly sold pieces but does not save you money. There's no way a hobby shop can be as efficient as commercial shops regarding material, tools, time...everything.
    Actually, low budget hobbiests can save money when it comes to making use of all materials.... I am *still* building a desk(waiting on someone with a stacked Dado....) and, thus far, I have managed to make a small shelf(desk top) out of the excess, I have also used excess material for other school related projects, et cetera. So while it may seem like you have a high amount of generated waste, that waste can be used later, where as most commerical shops send it to the landfill.

I have a shop full of tools acquired over a period of several years while renovating my house (and am saving lots of money doing it myself). Because I already have the tools, my only investment is time scrounging for free wood or buying roughsawn on the cheap and milling it myself. So yes, you can make your own furniture for less if you're thrifty and already own the necessary tools. Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Trever Williams View Post
    I know this is a probably loaded question with lots of variables, but generally speaking does it save money to build your own furniture? My wife and I are building a new house. When we move in we’re going to need to get a flat panel TV console like this one: We went shopping for them and they cost about $600. My wife said “Why don’t you just build one?” Never mind that it’s probably above my skill level but it got me to wondering if it would really save money. I haven’t priced hardwood lumber yet but I know its expensive. About how much do you think it would cost to build it out of cherry or mahogany?

One other comment - cabinets

I also think that comparing the cost to make vs. buy cabinets (kitchen cabinets / built-ins) is a huge difference (outside of the time / joy of making arguments). Assuming that you can build of similar or better quality (including the finish which is probably the most challenging to replicate) if you compare the price of something like Wood-Mode cabinets I think the cost of materials to make would be much much less. I suspect at least 50%-65% less expensive from a materials perspective.

Joe

In my opinion you can't build lower end furniture for less money than you can buy it.

So you're not going to build Ikea stuff for less money than you can buy it, and the TV cabinet you indicated is the higher end of low end furniture.

You probably can't make that for less money than you can buy it.

Once you get into more expensive furniture, then you can save substantial amounts of money.

I tracked a lot of the furniture I built for my house as follows

- Morris chair, $2,700 to purchase, $940 to build

- matching footstool $400 to purchase, $95 to build

- Stereo cabinet $2,100 to purchase, $700 to make.

So yes you can save money building higher end stuff, however whenever one of the kids wants me to make an Ikea piece, I offer to pick it up and help them assemble it. I can't buy the wood and hardware for what Ikea sell the complete product for.

Now, as others have said, if you need a custom TV stand because nothing else will do, then it's an obvious choice to build.

One last comment, this is a hobby, it's supposed to cost money, the fact that you get furniture out of it is a bonus.

Now quit trying to analyze your hobby and go buy a Felder combo machine to make your wife a birdhouse.........

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-22-2010 at 4:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes It is

It saves the money and time both also.

I have built furniture since I was a teenager and am now 63. If you are able to buy rough lumber and have a jointer and planer, you probably will end up paying a little more than buying low end junky furniture but not much more. It is certainly faster to buy something. We recently bought a couple of $500 beds and they look nice but they are junk.Your console will be the same. I have made most of my furniture and those pieces have stood the test of time. My wife really appreciates the pieces I have made and people visiting the house always think that is special; she loves to point out the things that I have made for her. I have one piece made by Stickley and I love it but it cost a fortune. I made a mission desk out of cherry to match using a Fine Woodworking plan. Material costs using rough cherry were a fraction what such a desk costs from the Stickley company but it also took forever to build! Good luck!

I am remodeling my kitchen using junk cabinets from Lowes. They look nice and they work, but it is the cheapest of everything. If a single junk cabinet costs roughly $150 to $200, how much am I spending to build my own?

I am building one cabinet. I opted to use BLUM under-mount soft close for the one drawer and BLUM soft close hinges for the door. I paid $4 each for the door hinges and I do not remember what I paid for the drawer runners. If I simply call it $50 for hardware, which I am pretty sure is high, that leaves $100 to $150 for the wood, screws, and finish.

I opted for furniture grade 3/4" plywood. even using wood that is not the cheapest I can still break even since I used plywood for the carcass. If I did a lot of this then I would probably find a better price for the wood (and similar). But, the cabinet that I built is much stronger than what I purchased. Many others use an even cheaper plywood (I assume cheaper because some use 1/2", but if it if prefinished that adds to the cost, but saves finish time and cost later).

The big hit, of course, is the time that I spend finishing the product (I am slow).

So, I will spend about the same, but I also have better hardware. Their drawer slides are junk as are their hinges. Mine are top shelf.

The general consensus seems to be that you should do a kitchen remodel once.... and then pay a professional to do it the second time

Quote Originally Posted by Trever Williams View Post
    We went shopping for them and they cost about $600. My wife said “Why don’t you just build one?” Never mind that it’s probably above my skill level but it got me to wondering if it would really save money. I haven’t priced hardwood lumber yet but I know its expensive. About how much do you think it would cost to build it out of cherry or mahogany?
    It depends.. If you are doing this for fun and don't count labor cost.. then yes, you can maybe save money if you already have tools.
    I can't see the picture, but if you are willing to use cherry plywood instead of making it solid wood, you can save time and money.
    Obviously, you can design it so the edges of the plywood are covered with solid wood or something else pleasing.
    Solid wood furniture is awesome, but it takes a lot longer to build, more expense, more skill required too.
    I am assuming this is one of your first projects, based on the question you ask.. I would recommend making a few things out of plywood first.

Another thing.. if you build it yourself, you need to be willing to accept a few flaws in your final product. Just about everything I build has a minor mistake.. luckily they are not really noticable to the causal viewer.
    The causal viewer can't even tell the difference between plywood and solid wood, or even between wood species.. Just a note.. don't let the drive for perfection ruin the fun.

Suggest you might consider the potential economy of using hardwood veneered cabinet-grade plywood for the build. I'm not presently able to view that image posted to see exactly what style you're looking for... Also I recall seeing a WoodSmith Shop TV segment where the guys showed how they fabricated a flat panel display and entertainment center. WoodWhisperer among others, have other designs as well. These could potentially be worth reviewing for useful ideas. Believe I recall some may have employed matching hardwood inserts to exposed plywood edges and of course, the expeditious and pervasive Kreg pocket screw joinery.
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 05-06-2016 at 9:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceline Fenton View Post
    It saves the money and time both also.
    Valid opinions from all... 6 year old thread revived by first-post member.

I see a wife who may be willing to let you buy into a hobby
    Bob C