Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: percise bits and a few noob bit questions

1. Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post
    Not to step on Johns toes but Centurion has .0625 bn Jim!

Nick
    My toes hurt now

I know a a few places that have .0625. But how about .005"

With a human hair for comparison.
    001.jpg
    002.jpg

There are also quite a few opinions out there on how to make a ball nose cutter (just like every other type I guess). So there is more to it then just diameter.

Also, thanks for the kind words James and James
    Last edited by John M Torrez; 05-25-2010 at 5:56 PM.
    John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

i cannot imagine the days it would take to carve with a .005!! most of my work is 8-12" dia + so 1/8th will suffice for greater detail the 1/16th is perfect!!

3. Usually people get there via the a little bit smaller approach.

"I'm using a .0625 but do you have a .0313."

"My competitor is using a .0313 do you have a .0156."

"The .0156 is nice but do you have a .0100."

"I like the .0100 but do you have a .005."

"Do you have anything smaller then a .005" (yes, we make cutters down to .0002").
    John Torrez

How about a 1/16" ballnose with 1/2" length of cut?

How about a 1/8" and 1/16" tapered BN (for sand casting patterns - need a 4 degree (or so) draft angle.)

Dennis
    O'Brien Truckers Automotive Aluminum Sand Castings
    Stinger SN 001
    Corel X5, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D

Lol. John, I try to stay at .031 IF I can but sometimes I must use a .020. I want to do some pretty intricate work in .030 thick abalam so I have some of your .0156 cutters ready to try.

-James

Quote Originally Posted by John M Torrez View Post
    Usually people get there via the a little bit smaller approach.

"I'm using a .0625 but do you have a .0313."

"My competitor is using a .0313 do you have a .0156."

"The .0156 is nice but do you have a .0100."

"I like the .0100 but do you have a .005."

"Do you have anything smaller then a .005" (yes, we make cutters down to .0002").
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

Wow John those are TINY!! sorry about the toes!

I would probably break those things just looking at them!

What are the .005 used for???

Thanks,
    Nick

why nick don't you clean your finger nails with your cnc!!

look at some of the inlay work!!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    How about a 1/16" ballnose with 1/2" length of cut?
    Currently on the short list for one of our next tools. Let me see if I can move it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis OBrien View Post
    How about a 1/8" and 1/16" tapered BN (for sand casting patterns - need a 4 degree (or so) draft angle.)

Dennis
    We are doing some more types of taper tools soon. Let me see if I can get this considered too. I assume you are looking for these on a 1/4" shank?

Quote Originally Posted by James Leonard View Post
    Lol. John, I try to stay at .031 IF I can but sometimes I must use a .020. I want to do some pretty intricate work in .030 thick abalam so I have some of your .0156 cutters ready to try.

-James
    See what I mean. Slippery slope. .

Let me know if there's anyway I can help. (you know barring free tools )

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post
    Wow John those are TINY!! sorry about the toes!
    They're all bruised now

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Bukky View Post
    I would probably break those things just looking at them!

What are the .005 used for???

Thanks,
    Nick
    I don't know what every customer we sell them to uses them for. But I know some of them are using these for very small molds and stamps (mostly small models and jewelry). I have seen a few people 3d carve coins. But I'm not quite sure what the profit model is there.
    John Torrez

1/4" shank will be fine,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dennis OBrien

Dennis

We are doing some more types of taper tools soon. Let me see if I can get this considered too. I assume you are looking for these on a 1/4" shank?
    O'Brien Truckers Automotive Aluminum Sand Castings
    Stinger SN 001
    Corel X5, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D

11. Dennis , would 5° be too much? If not, we already have one of the tools you asked for.

http://www.precisebits.com/products/...arve250b4f.asp
    John Torrez

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    For you're MDF dish, get a carbide tipped core box bit, the bigger the better. The larger size will cut it faster because you can use a much larger stepover, with a smoother finish. Look for a 1" or bigger, unless you need a smaller one for more detail.
    I'm curious, Gerry, I've only played around with Cut3D (and I'm thinking about buying it), when I import a model like my radius dish and go to set up my roughing and finishing passes, it wants to know what kind of bit I'm using, end mill or ball nose. What would one tell it for a core box bit? 1 1/4 ball nose? Maybe no need for a roughing pass...?

matt i cut most all bowl 3d with a 1/16 or 1/8th finish ball nose, roughing can be done with .25 or larger ball nose or end mills or as non cnc refers to them "core box bit" roughing is basicall material pre removal

14. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    I'm curious, Gerry, I've only played around with Cut3D (and I'm thinking about buying it), when I import a model like my radius dish and go to set up my roughing and finishing passes, it wants to know what kind of bit I'm using, end mill or ball nose. What would one tell it for a core box bit? 1 1/4 ball nose? Maybe no need for a roughing pass...?
    Other then for previewing the image it won't matter which (ball or end mill) you tell Cut3d, the code will be the same. However, I believe the cutters he was pointing you to would be ball nose.

Even if you are using the same tool, using a roughing pass will be faster. You can take a much greater step over on the roughing pass (say 90%) and then go back with the finishing pass and use as fine of a step over as you want.

If I was going to cut it though, I'd be doing what Jim said. Take a 1/4" end mill and rough out the piece. Then go back with a smaller ball nose on the finishing.
    John Torrez

Other then for previewing the image it won't matter which (ball or end mill) you tell Cut3d, the code will be the same.
    The code for a square end mill and ballend mill will not be the same at all?? The ball nose bit can reach places the square end can not.

And yes, choose ball end for the core box bit.