Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DNA drying method failure

Steam/ boiling

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. I saw a video on utube that showed a production bowl shop in Michigan (I think)and they steamed their bowls after coring. I don't have a steamer, but I do have a canning pot on the stove that will boil water (during the winter).
    I had made a set of bowls out of a beautiful birch burl from and for a good neighbor and the second largest bowl developed a 1/4 inch wide crack from near the rim all the way to the bottom. I was upset and thew it into the canning pot and left it there for a day. I pulled it out and the crack had sealed shut! I CA'd the crack and bagged it and set it on the floor to dry. Hopefully it will stay shut.
    I have seen other videos that promoted boiling as a drying method. They used a turkey fryer and a 55 gallon drum. The claim is that it speeds up drying and equalizes internal stresses to eliminate cracks.
    Good luck
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    ... If I had a kiln I would definitely use it and fore go the Dna method...

Well build one then. It's not difficult, not expensive, and bowls take no more then three weeks to dry. See link for articles on building kilns:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...es.html#drying
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.