Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Bummer

Major Bummer

It looks like I probably have a bit of chemo in store. A C/T scan showed a mass in my chest (6cm x 4cm) and I underwent a needle biopsy yesterday so they can figure out what it is. Also have a PET scan and another C/T scan scheduled for next week. I go back to the oncologist on 6/1 when I'll get the results of all the testing and figure out what the game plan is. So what's in store and what kinds of questions should I be asking?
    Use the fence Luke

I'm sorry to hear this news, Doug. I can't answer any of your questions, but just wanted to let you know you will be in my thoughts.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Doug,

Sorry to hear it you have to go through chemo. I have no personal experience, but both my parents went through chemo.

Definitely ask about expected side effects. One batch my mother went through was just fine (a little nausea after the initial infusion, but otherwise fine), whereas another batch was horrible (nausea all the time, lost her hair, the works). They have meds to combat nausea, so if it is expected, make certain that you get some.

Assuming it is infusion, you may want to ask about a porta-cath (?). My mother had very bad veins, and IV's were a new experience in pain and discomfort. If you are similarly inclined, they can surgically place a small port just below your clavicle, and they can run all injections through there.

The big thing to watch out for is loss of appetite and dehydration. With my dad, we had to make certain that when he actually felt like eating that we made it count -- high calorie and high protein, usually. I think that was the only time a doctor has ever suggested that a patient eat a fast-food burger.

Good luck -- we're pulling for you.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Sorry to hear this Doug. I'll keep you in my prayers. LOML is going in for a biopsy in the next week or so. This is the scary time, knowing some but not all. Once it is all figured out, the game plan can be set and a lot of the worry can go away. Stay strong! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Doug,

First my sincere sympathy to you.

I know from personal experience the waiting is tough but...

Wait until the experts and you know what type if any form of malignancy you are up against. Then you can make a game plan and start making decisions.

It's truly amazing what they can treat these days. The LOML is a 17 year survivor of a rare form of cancer that only has a 50% survival rate if diagnosed and treated at stage 0. Hers was stage 1.

It may only require surgery....maybe chemo......there are a lot of maybe's ....

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had Seminoma back in 1992 or 93... a variety of testicular cancer. (You'd never know, btw. It's like getting a hernia fixed with radiation and CAT scans for a while afterwards). First, you're not going to die. Second, in a year or two you'll wonder what people mean when they ask 'how are you doing' with a little too much concern, 'cause you'll forget. Third, make sure you ask for any anti-nausea drugs you can get. I ate like a linebacker and gained weight, felt better with a full stomach.

Assume you just need to do this - like taxes - and do it. Get the job done. Accumulate information, figure it out, be flexible and the days will fly by. Trust me, if you fit this new stuff into your day you'll come out with zero stress.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Sorry to hear your news Doug. I have no experience in this area but will keep you, your family and the doctors in my prayers.

Doug....Whatever your game plan turns out to be, make sure it is played out by the very best medical people you have available to you. Once you are confident of that, follow their advice to the letter and have faith in their capabilities. Get plenty of rest, plenty of exercise and don't be afraid to lean on your closest supporters. My personal experience was a diagnosis of a cancer with a 12-15% 5 year survival rate. It is now going on 7 years and I am cancer free. I am a true believer that modern medicine can work miracles. All the best....I am rooting for you!

Thanks for the support y'all. I'll let you know after I find out all the test results on the 1st. At this point it's interfering seroiusly with doing any woodworking. Just haven't felt good enough to do anything more than think about WW so I'll be glad to get some sort of cure in sight.
    Use the fence Luke

Well here's the results.
    I've got adenocarcinoma (sp?) and get to have both chemo and radiation. So the next couple of months should be a real party. The doc is putting me on medical leave so I should have lots of free time to keep up with SMC doings.
    Use the fence Luke

Best of luck, Doug. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!!
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Doug, at least now you know and you and your docs can get started on the treatment. Please know that we'll be here for you on the good days and the bad days. I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Doug,

The LOML is a 17 survivor of adenocarcinoma in a different organ I'm sure.

Good luck. We'll keep you in our thoughts!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Doug

Best wishes to you.

My daughter just had BC surgery and all is well. She'll be on radiation therapy but everyone is optimistic.

Treatment has indeed come a long way.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

17 years and counting. Do as you're told but keep up the research and find a few forums to surf. An informed patient is a healthy patient. Good luck, and.......

Don't let the bastard win.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC