Thread: Altar and Tabernacle

Altar and Tabernacle

I had this posted in the woodcarving section since I'm primarily a carver. Some responses lead me to think I should "cross pollinate" and post it here since they said in the posts,,,"I rarely look here but the title caught my eye"
    So here is a carvers take on making an Altar and Tabernacle for a local Bishop. This will go into his chapel in his private residence.
    It's 4 ft long, 2 ft deep, and the Tabernacle is 3 ft high. It's Birch with what is called White Mahogany.
    The Alpha and the Omega are carved and gilded along with the carving I did for the door of the Tabernacle. It is in the initial stages of gilding so it looks a bit fuzzy in this photo.
    It's my own design somewhat in the Gothic style but will look fine in the rest of the surroundings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

That's beautiful! Make sure and post new pictures once you have the finish on.

Amazing work! Absolutely drop dead gorgeous!
    My limited vocabulary can't express how wonderful it is to see such masterful execution.
    You are a true artist with a knife, as well as with your designs.
    Gene
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I just finished the staining not minutes ago! Let it rest for a bit and then put on the clear. Forgot to mention, the Tabernacle is designed to be mounted in a corner so as not to take up as much room in a relatively small chapel.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.
    Mark
    The Woodworking Studio

Fantastic work Mark. I can't wait to see the finished piece. White mahogany...is that also known as Prima Vera?

Mark

Very nice work!

7. Mark wonderful work, I too am anxious to see this after the finish is on. The Bishop should be very happy with this!

Hey guys! Thanks.
    The white mahogany is from a friend who has a mill in Africa. The locals call it chin-chin as well as some other name I don't remember. It's quite soft , porous, somewhat difficult to carve unless the tools are Razor sharp. Mills just fine though. Don't know what else to say about it.
    Oh, takes stain well,, but oozes out of the pores depending on the piece. Strange stuff.
    Maybe tomorrow or Sun . I'll start with the finish. I can't wait to get this piece done as well.
    I'm tired of looking at it and want it out of here! Other jobs are stacking up. Just got the top of a really neat Armoire in for carving. A guy is restoring it, but the thing is, at some point in it's life I must not have fit into a room as someone cut the top half of the carving off! So now it's up to me to figure out what the carving could have been and then carve it. I'll post that one in the carving section soon.
    Beautiful workmanship on it.. too bad someone was so stupid!
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 05-21-2010 at 6:02 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Outstanding work, Mark!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful job Mark. I too would like to see a few pics with the finish on.

It's finished,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Please refer to my previous post,
    Excellent work!
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Blog Entries
    Thanks for cross-pollinating. Beautiful stuff I would have missed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just delivered the Altar today to the Bishops Chapel as well as installed the Tabernacle. He was more than pleased with the outcome. He sent me home with a Statue to restore ( plaster, 4 ft high) and is considering having me do a matching chair for the Chapel as well.
    The Woodworking Studio