Thread: Flying Bandsaw Blade

Flying Bandsaw Blade

I put a Timberwolf 3/16 blade on my bandsaw this weekend to cut some rather quick curves.

On this saw I have had 1/2" and 3/8" blades with relatively no problems. But this time as long as I was pushing it cut wonderful. But every time I tried to back up the cut the blade would pop off the wheels.

The guides are adjusted properly, the thrust bearings are adjusted properly, the blade is tracking in the middle or real close to the middle of the wheels, top and bottom.

Is this normal? I bet I had to reinstall that blade about 10 times to make about 8 lft. of cut. Won't tell you what I called that saw after about the 4th time.

Is that the norm for skinny blades? The tension is not as great as on a 1/2" blade so because of that is it more sensitive to backing up?

Did you retrack your saw when you changed blades? This is necessary when you change sizes. If you did, you may have a bad weld.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-22-2004 at 12:05 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cant say for sure, but occasionally when I have a problem with the blade wanting to bind in the cut, I turn the saw off, wait for it to stop and then back the blade out. Remember, when you are cutting there is a backer bearing there to keep the blade centered on the wheel and go no farther. When you back out of a cut there is nothing to do that for you. Just a thought.