Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend a Random Orbit Sander

The FWW Tool Review rated the Bosch/Klingspor #1. Can't remember which year, but I just re-read 2007, 2008, 2009 this week so it's one of those. The next year they rated the Festool best, but Bosch/Klingspor did well. They did state that the two are the same sander as far as they could tell and awarded it that way.

I haven't actually tried a Bosch. I have the Festool Rotex, which I like for agressive stuff, and the DeWalt. I actually like the DeWalt, have never thought poorly of it while using it... but I suppose I don't have a good benchmark to compare it to the Milwaukee or Bosch.

I have to say, I got a chuckle AND thought "Respect!" when I ready Sarge's line, "Just my opinion based on personal use of course." That there is the real key, maybe not too many folks have used a Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Festool long enough to have a real experience-based opinion. If it was me buying it, so far I'd have to go with Sarge's opinion--I was sold on the Bosch until I read his post.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I'm still sort of torn at this point. Lots of options available... hard to know what will work for what I am using to for best...

I have no problem spending money on a tool that will save me time.

Again, I do a lot of end grain cutting boards and want something I can aggressively sand with... I actually own a 5" ridgid and 5" bosch ros10, but I don't find either of them to remove stock quick enough.

I really haven't narrowed my choices down much, ranging from Ridgid 2611 (I like the fact that it has dual orbit), bosch 3725/3727 and actually somewhat considering a festool ro 125/150 if I can convince myself it would save me enough time to warrant the price tag.

So hard to make a decision as to what will work best without being able to try out different tools... especially with the price difference... (Ridgid $140, Bosch $260, Festool $495/$625 CDN)

For end grain cutting boards, I would suggest you consider a belt sander with a sanding frame and coarse belt. This goes really fast, but you will need ROS sanding afterwards. My second alternative would be Rotex, or similar dual mode sander. Bosch 1250DEVS is a really good sander if you want to save about 50% and get nearly the same performance. When I made cutting boards, I first tried using Rotex, it did not go fast enough, so I switched to 4" belt sander with a sanding frame followed up with Rotex which made it go fairly quick.

I actually have a Delta 18/36 drum sander that I use to flatten all my boards, but it consistently leaves marks throughout the boards. I can slowly work through grits up to 150, but it is very slow going (tends to burn or build up on end grain with more than a 1/128 pass) so I'm trying to find a better solution.

My thinking was that I would still use the drum sander at 60/80 to flatten, but then switch to a more aggressive ROS and work through grit that way. In my head it seems like a better solution to me, but don't know for sure without trying.

At present, after the drum sander I usually spend a fair amount of time with my bosch ROS10 trying to remove lines, it works, but something with more power should work better...

On top of my suggestion of the Milwaukee I have a Ridgid 2611 6" ROS. I got it when it was made by Metabo in W. Germany. It is most definitely more aggressive than the Milwaukee.. most definitely and and saves me time on wide pieces as I do a lot of large carcass. I did not realize you were using this on large end grain surface as a cutting board. I will withdraw my reccomendation of the Milwaukee in this case as you need a very agressive sander to handle a lot of rough end grain. The Milwaukee is a great finish sander but not suited for the butcher block tops with end grain showing IMO.

In your case I like the recommendation of Frank Martin who takes the block to a belt sander first which is very aggressive... then tackles it with a less aggressive sander as the Milwaukee I originally suggested. But.. with that said I will throw another idea at you for consideration. Perhaps there is a way to avoid the rough end grain so the very agressive is not needed to start with.

Consider either the purchase of an Infinity Super General or Freud Fusion to cross-cut the stock for the blocks. Both have 40 T and both have a 30* degree angle as opposed to most 40 T with 18*-20*. And both have triple side grind which will leave end grain surface baby butt smooth as it almost burnishs the cut they make. I do a lot of A & C with table top end grain showing. I only put my Infinity Super General on when final cross-cutting the stock for tops where end grain shows. With that blade there is little to no final sanding frankly. At least there is no fighting end grain with a sander or a low angle block plane as I used to. It leaves a finish that requires only a few passes with my 5" Milwaukee and not always that. I do not like to use the more aggressive 6" Ridgid (Metabo in my case) on end grain as it is harder to keep it flat on the narrower end grain on top stock. Would probably be fine for attacking larger surface end grain laying flat on a bench as your cutting boards.

So.. just my thoughts if I were in your shoes. Franks idea would be my solution if I did not have the personal knowledge of just how smooth end grain is left using the Super General or Fusion.

Good luck as end grain is a PITA to deal with in the quantity you are attacking. But.. where there is a will there is a way!
    Last edited by John Thompson; 05-25-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler