Thread: Hunting Tragedy in Wisconsin

Hunting Tragedy in Wisconsin

This all took place not far from where I live.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S4389.html?cat=1

Hard to believe.

Blog Entries

Sad state of affairs

As a hunter, it makes me very sad that things got so out of hand. It would have been easy enough to have just walked away and let the game commission deal with the trespasser once he refused to leave private property. Obviously someone thought to take down his license number so what more needed to be done.

Just walk away, no tree stand or choice hunting location is worth getting someone shot. Hopefully the survivors will never be allowed to hunt again.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

a very sad day

My heart and prayers are with the victims.

There's no excuse whatsoever to do what he did. I can only imagine the horror those people went through.

A very sad event.

Betsy

We will probably never know what set the guy off. He must have had a chip or chips on his shoulder before he went hunting.

Sadly the anti-gun lobby will use the incident to their advantage to frighten the public about hunting weapons...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    As a hunter, it makes me very sad that things got so out of hand. It would have been easy enough to have just walked away and let the game commission deal with the trespasser once he refused to leave private property. Obviously someone thought to take down his license number so what more needed to be done.

Just walk away, no tree stand or choice hunting location is worth getting someone shot. Hopefully the survivors will never be allowed to hunt again.
    Better read the story again Lee.
    It looks like the trespasser was the one that opened up on the landowners.

He got out of the stand, turned his vest inside out so it was camo instead of orange & then hunted down the rest of the hunting party. There's a news conference at 1 CST. I'm sure they'll have more answers then.

Bad stuff, I wonder how it got that far? I've hunted my family's ranch much of my life and run people off a couple times. It's a tense moment when you're confronting an armed person and telling them they have to leave.

poor judgement!

its definatly a sad day for all who hunt, or just use the forrest for what ever reason. the one thing i dont understand is that the rest of them after being told that they were being shot at didnt bring there weapons for self defense??? if i was told that my partners were being shot at, i certain wouldnt come back empty handed. hope the rest of the wounded pull through. and i can relate to a gun being pointd in my direction while huntin, back when i was 15yrs old ,, i got up and left. and ended up working with the person afterwards at age 18. reminded him of his actions and he turned as red as anyone can. we did reconcile our ideas later and were freinds before he died.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

As Larry said.....it's a sad day for all who hunt! You can bet the anti-gunners will use this incident forever to defend their extreme position. My thoughts and prayers to the families. Like Larry......if I knew someone....anyone....was shooting at a member of my hunting party or anybody's hunting party....I wouldn't go to rescue them without being armed. Here in Idaho we have some really "different" people around and I've bumped into a few of them while in the woods......extremists...survivalists..... I seldom go into the woods unarmed. A few years ago some criminals from California were looking for someone to take advantage of ......they passed on a 50-ish Lewiston fire chief and his elderly FIL flyfishing on the edge of the wilderness. They did, however, kill a young Army officer and his new bride camping on a river some 70 miles away. They continued on to Montana and where one of the girlfriends spilled the beans. During their trial one of the group admitted they'd passed on the 2 men fishing because when the local fire chief turned to reply to their attempt at conversation.....they saw his pistol in a shoulder holster. The Wisconsin incident......truly a sad day!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-23-2004 at 5:26 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I respect everyone's right to make their own decision about guns, but tragedies like this are just one more reason why I would not hunt or be comfortable around people carrying guns. You just never know what might be going through someone's mind....

Jack