Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tried Something Different

I've used black and it sticks good, I had a piece that wasn't sealed, and the powder after I vac it off was still in the grain of the wood. I put it under the sink sprayer and washed of the the powder, the engrave stayed fine. That was black. I still haven't found good settings for the colored powders, Has anyone else had good luck with colored powder coat??
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

As with Bert, I use a vacuum to clean-up. I'm not sure how it would hold up to an air hose. However after it's sealed, it's locked in.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

This is what mine is doing, and this one was after I wiped it off with a rag. The rag pulled some of it off the Mr. Powder Paint.jpg

What would happen if you filled with the powder paint and then clear coated? Would that stay in.
    ~ universal vls6.60 32"x18" table with 60watt laser. Accessories = rotary fixture, honeycomb cutting table, & air assist. Using Corel draw x6.

~ ShopSabre PRO408 CNC Router. Vacuum hold down. and 4th axes rotary. Using Aspire

~ Fully Stocked Cabinet/Wood Shop

Machines are used in an educational setting. Thanks from Mike in South Dakota

How much power are you using on the powder paint? How thick are you putting the powder in? Doesn't require much of either.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I had better luck with Harbor Freight colors when I applied several light layers and engraved with a slow, but light power setting. Each light dusting of powder and then engraving made the color look better, but it was still a slow process. I have also tried a thick layer while engraving slow to try to "bake" the powder on, but I have had mixed results with the powder flaking off the wood, while bits of it need a chisel to take it off!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    How much power are you using on the powder paint? How thick are you putting the powder in? Doesn't require much of either.
    The lasering is only about 1/64 - 1/32" deep and I filled the entire thing up to the top.
    ~ universal vls6.60 32"x18" table with 60watt laser. Accessories = rotary fixture, honeycomb cutting table, & air assist. Using Corel draw x6.

~ ShopSabre PRO408 CNC Router. Vacuum hold down. and 4th axes rotary. Using Aspire

~ Fully Stocked Cabinet/Wood Shop

Machines are used in an educational setting. Thanks from Mike in South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    I had better luck with Harbor Freight colors when I applied several light layers and engraved with a slow, but light power setting. Each light dusting of powder and then engraving made the color look better, but it was still a slow process. I have also tried a thick layer while engraving slow to try to "bake" the powder on, but I have had mixed results with the powder flaking off the wood, while bits of it need a chisel to take it off!
    Mike what raster pwr and spd do you use. Wha watt tube do you have?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

45-watt. I start out at 100 speed, 11 power 600dpi if it's a light coat and slow down the speed depending upon colors. I found an old test piece of alder wood where engraved text next to a square. I jotted down "4 thin layers at 90/10" and the HF colors turned out fairly nice when it came to text, but the white squares could have used a few more layers. The yellow/orange and the red colors looked better then the white. The black by far was the nicest test.

I also did some "thick powder" tests where the speed/power was 10/5. The white & yellow colors flaked off while the red & black colors are "okay." About a year or two ago, just for the heck of it, I tossed a piece of finished alder with a thick layer of black into the oven for maybe 1 minute. The black looked fantastic, but the finish on the piece of wood bubbled up and looked horrible. LOL
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

but the finish on the piece of wood bubbled up and looked horrible. LOL

I won't try that then, maybe if you seal the wood with a light coat of wood sealer not a shellac or urethane.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I use 11 power & 100 Speed.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I use 11 power & 100 Speed.
    So, so, so... so you're saying it goes to 11?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mike Mills View Post
    This is what mine is doing, and this one was after I wiped it off with a rag. The rag pulled some of it off the Mr. Powder Paint.jpg

What would happen if you filled with the powder paint and then clear coated? Would that stay in.
    I was reading this old thread again to see if anyone was having good luck with colors and see your wiping it with a rag, try the Vacuum.
    I raster at 100spd 20 pwr on my 40 watt. thats Black, still working on colors.IMG_0153.jpgThis is still in laser waiting to be cut out but took a quick picture to show the powder coat after a quick vac before cutting. Will finish clean up after cut.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 05-04-2014 at 3:58 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander