Thread: Compressed air setup

Compressed air setup

I'm looking to improve my compressed air setup. Here's what I've got on hand:

DSC_0079.jpg DSC_0080.jpg DSC_0081.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking about:

CompressedAir.jpg

Does anyone know if the filter I've got will take out the oil as well as draining the water? Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

No clue. Check with the MFG on that filter model # for what it is supposed to do... BUT... Most of the time, moisture separators are built in to a regulator assembly. and should go in line about where you picture your CH item. I am guessing that is a regulator, but I can not see any gauge on it...

And then just prior to the tool, such as a spray gun, you would separate out any lubricants with an oil separator such as the one linked below... That way you still provide air / lubrication to tools that need lubrication, but can have clean, dry air at things like spray guns...

Assuming that the blue gizmo is an oil separator, and I have no reason other than being hopeful for you to do so, I would...

Go from compressor, to your wort chiller looking cooling coil (never seen a cooling coil for compressed air, but it makes sense...) to the dryer (separate water out, THEN tee off with one leg going to the rest of the shop, and one leg going to the oil separator and the spray gun.
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 05-22-2010 at 7:03 PM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

You may want to consider mounting the cooling coil between the pump and the tank-- that way the water can drain into the tank.

For oil, you want a coalescing (spelling) filiter. IR makes these, and others. I don't think that it's possible to tell what the filter in the picture is, but, if I remember corectly, a coelescing filter has an element that looks like a thick piece of felt.