Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop competition or alternatives

Simple answer, Sawstop is the only one with that technology and is a great saw it has all the other benifets as well now even including a overhead guard with close to 100% dust collection when used. Don't forget about our lungs.

I got it because I have been using a table saw 20 years with no problems but you never know I am not 100% all the time and my fathor uses it and in his old age has gotten quite jerky in his movements and likes to take short cuts, I can see him doing some thign stupid.

If you don't wat a saw stop and have the room the slider are really nice also and alot safer than us table saws.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-24-2010 at 1:00 PM.
    -=Jason=-

I am watching this thread closely.

The OPs topic was not theory or history.

Are there alternatives?

Postings with subjects other than the OPs original will be deleted.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Deleted - post off topic.
    Last edited by Chet Kagel; 05-25-2010 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Off topic

FWIW, and I think it was already mentioned, I think the Euro sliders are probably just as safe. No, the blade won't stop if you hit it but then again your fingers are never anywhere near the blade. The flaw with our table saws is the proximity of our fingers to the blade when we're using the tool properly. Take that away and the moment of inattention no longer ends in catastrophe.

As I've said in other threads, one of my few tool regrets is that I didn't simply buy a slider instead of the SS. A Euro slider combo machine would have made me one happy camper, and my wallet would have been over the sting by now.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    FWIW, and I think it was already mentioned, I think the Euro sliders are probably just as safe. No, the blade won't stop if you hit it but then again your fingers are never anywhere near the blade. The flaw with our table saws is the proximity of our fingers to the blade when we're using the tool properly. Take that away and the moment of inattention no longer ends in catastrophe.

As I've said in other threads, one of my few tool regrets is that I didn't simply buy a slider instead of the SS. A Euro slider combo machine would have made me one happy camper, and my wallet would have been over the sting by now.
    Is a slider an alternative to a SS, safety wise, when doing narrow rip cuts?

Folks,

This thread is not for testimonials.....it is not about theory.....it is not about SS history....

It is about alternatives or competition for SS technology.

Stay on subject. I will remove any off topic posts.

Please show a little discipline and stay on topic.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Is a slider an alternative to a SS, safety wise, when doing narrow rip cuts?
    I can't say I've ever done narrow rips on a slider. My guess would using hold downs with the slider would be the ticket. Of course if you're taking 1/8" slices off a 1/2" stick, that may not work, but I don't know that I'd consider that a safe cut on a SS either...well at least not if you push all the way past the blade. Then again, if you stop short and turn around, you run the risk of kickback and burning. I'm sure someone with a Euro slider will chime in on how they make those kinds of cuts. That really is the only alternative out there at the moment, though, at least until you start getting into industrial machinery that takes the operator right out of the equation entirely. Stop the blade or keep the fingers away in the first place, right? I'd almost have to give a Euro slider a slight advantage, in fact. The way they're configured, I'm not sure what you'd have to do in order to get a kick back. That's also a leading cause of hand injuries.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 05-24-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I can't say I've ever done narrow rips on a slider. My guess would using hold downs with the slider would be the ticket. Of course if you're taking 1/8" slices off a 1/2" stick, that may not work, but I don't know that I'd consider that a safe cut on a SS either...well at least not if you push all the way past the blade. Then again, if you stop short and turn around, you run the risk of kickback and burning. I'm sure someone with a Euro slider will chime in on how they make those kinds of cuts. That really is the only alternative out there at the moment, though, at least until you start getting into industrial machinery that takes the operator right out of the equation entirely. Stop the blade or keep the fingers away in the first place, right? I'd almost have to give a Euro slider a slight advantage, in fact. The way they're configured, I'm not sure what you'd have to do in order to get a kick back. That's also a leading cause of hand injuries.
    Hi John, when making narrow rip cuts the Euro slider I own (Hammer B3) is safer than the cabinet saw it replaced (General 650).

It's not safer due to the slider aspect however, it's safer due to the multi-position rip fence and having a riving knife instead of that in the way splitter/anti-kickback pawl contraption.

The multi position rip fence is similar to the Delta Uni-fence.

1) It can be used in normal configuration as a tall fence

2) It can be used as a tall fence pulled back towards the operator so it doesn't extend past the leading edge of the blade, very useful for ripping solid wood as the stock is never between the blade and the fence.

3) it can be used as a low fence (1/2"??) in either position for ripping bevels or narrow strips.

The #3 setting is what makes narrow strips on a slider so safe, the fence doesn't obstruct your use of push sticks or other pushing devices so you never are tempted to remove the blade guard.

You are correct however that cutting narrow strips from a narrow board is unsafe on any table saw. That's what a shaper with a feeder is for.

Regards, Rod.

One thing to consider readign Chets thread above Sawstop is not improving quality over all once that break engages and stopes the blade the mistake has already happened. Euro sliders improve the process to prevent the mistake in the first place and do much better at large materal handeling. Really depends on what you want a saw for and what you are comfortable with which way you go.
    -=Jason=-

Thanks for all of the responses. My post was only intended to confirm my suspicion that SS was the only manufacturer offering this type of technology. Given the replies, it appears so. Now, for my accident - and I would like to share with all the 'creekers - no mater how many years and no matter how safe you think you're operating, my experience reconfirmed accidents can happen and in a split second. FYI, I was using a push stick with my right hand. However, my left hand got too close to the blade as it was being used to clear the cut-off section; my thumb accidently touched the blade as I pushed the cut-off aside with my fingers. I realize this isn't safe operating procedure and I offer it as testimony to others to be careful. Given my experience, I am rethinking the purchase of a safer saw; thus, the question posted.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. My post was only intended to confirm my suspicion that SS was the only manufacturer offering this type of technology. Given the replies, it appears so. Now, for my accident - and I would like to share with all the 'creekers - no mater how many years and no matter how safe you think you're operating, my experience reconfirmed accidents can happen and in a split second. FYI, I was using a push stick with my right hand. However, my left hand got too close to the blade as it was being used to clear the cut-off section; my thumb accidently touched the blade as I pushed the cut-off aside with my fingers. I realize this isn't safe operating procedure and I offer it as testimony to others to be careful. Given my experience, I am rethinking the purchase of a safer saw; thus, the question posted.
    Bob, I am not laying blame or anythng of the sort I am just curious: Was this a cut a standard guard or overarm guard could have been used for. I ask this first since there are a few cuts that are difficult to do with either of the guards in place. If it was a cut a guard could have been used was it in place? Again I am NOT throwing rocks since my house is made from glass forged from the grains of sand collected one for each time I have not used a proper guard on a machine, instead I am curious if a better designed and easier to use guard were available would it have been more likely to be in place.

Hi Van,

Thanks for the interest. There were no guards in place at the time of my accident. A standard, come-with-the machine very likely would have prevented the accident. FYI, I grew up at the time in which there wasn't such as a guard (at least that I can remember). I believe my first table saw which my Dad purchased for me in about 1974 (9" Delta) may of had one, but never installed. I used this saw until about 2008, never with a guard. I upgraded to a 10" Delta contractor that I purchased at a garage sale. The guard came with but not installed. However, after my accident, I acquainted myself with the guard and installed it for a while. Given 40 yrs+ of home workshop and likely less than desirable safety habbits, I've got to get familiar with the guard that came with, buy and use a better upgrade guard, or upgrade further to the SawStop. That was the basis for my original question. Hope this answers your question.

I know this is an older thread, but to answer your question there is a competitive product to the Sawstop and it is non-destructive to the blade. Tou can reset and continue working in seconds. Here is the link http://www.whirlwindtool.com/. Check it out, it can be retrofited to many saws. Not sure of the availability date but looks good to me. I just learned of it today and haven't read everything but looks promising.
    It has built in dust collection and a light.

No affiliation, just passing on the info.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Cross; 09-11-2011 at 12:29 AM.

How about a track saw system? I bought a rail after stalling my 3hp Uni pushing a full sheet of ply through by myself (even with in/out support). It happened to be from Eurekazone that uses any circular saw but there are many others out there. Even though I have a Uni I make all but a few cuts with my track saw equipment. These systems have expanded well beyond just clamping a rail to a board - do some research & hope you thumb heals quickly.

Mike

Mike, There are some videos over on OWWM but I think the info is a year or two old. Is your news more recent? Dave