Thread: Surface rust on a table saw questions

Surface rust on a table saw questions

I was looking at a used tablesaw that someone has for sale. The pics he sent me looks like light rust is on the cast iron top. I assume this isnt a big deal and I will just need to lightly sand the rust out and wax it?

You should be able to get it back smooth.

Clean the top with some 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits to see how bad it is.

Splash some more mineral spirits on, and start with a sanding block and 220 grit sandpaper if needed. Wipe it clean and move to 320, then to 400, then to 600. You could go through 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 if you want to. Just keep cleaning the top before moving on.

Clean the thing again, keep "rinsing" it with MS until the paper towels show clean.

Wax it up or use something else to prevent rust.

I have always used wax in the past, I'm gonna start using baby powder and see how that goes. I've heard it works, and works just as good, if not better than wax. If that is the case, it is much easier.

This isn't that Jet Posted on Woodnet is it?

Robert -

If there are no pits from the rust - light rust like you said - try "greenies" and some some PB or WD40 before going to sandpaper. If that is too stubborn use some naval jelly (phosphoric acid), but only just enough to get the rust loosened as naval jelly will discolor the top.

The naval jelly needs to be rinsed off after about 10-15 minutes. The
    residual phosphorus serves as a passivating agent, i.e. it occupies the reactive sites on the metal surface thereby 'locking' out oxygen, but the carrier is washed off.

Treatment after rust removal. . . . . . Lots of options/opinions. Each has their own method, but it does need to be done. I use Boeshield T-9 and/or paste wax.

Good luck,
    Ted

Light rust removal is a pretty simple and common task. I prefer scotch brite over sand paper but have used SP before....should be very very fine grit (300-600). You can spray the top liberally with WD-40, wait a couple of minutes and wipe it down. Spray again, and work at it with SB or SP, wipe it down, and repeat if needed.

There are rust removal products available. One of the highest rated is by Boeshield. Followup the rust removal with rust preventer...again Boeshield rates high.

I like to add a couple of coats of paste wax regardless of which method I use.

Thanks for the replys. I figured it was ok. Probably not uncommon to rust with nonuse since its not plated with anything. This is actually a fairly new ridgid.