Thread: Formula for window pane sizes?

Formula for window pane sizes?

Is there some sort of formula for calculating window pane sizes? Or just go with whatever looks good?
    An example is the 2 bookcases below in which I'm making something similar but a different size.
    Been trying to figure out what the proportion of the smaller leaded glass panes to the overall door size should be.

Two pleasing rectangles are the root 2,and the Golden Mean. The golden mean is found much used in nature. The height and width of many trees is found to fit into the golden mean,and many other natural forms are generated from it.. The ancient Greeks used the golden mean to design their most beautiful buildings.

the golden mean is .618 X the length of the other side of a rectangle. If a rectangle is 2" on one side,2 x .618= 1.236 for the other side.

The rt.2 is had by drawing a square whose sides are the length you ant the short side of a rectangle to be. Then,draw a diagonal,and swing it down to the base of the square. Draw a vertical line up from the outside end of the diagonal. That gives you the horizontal length of the rectangle.

Google root 2 rectangle to see drawings of how to generate it. I just did.

OK, I more or less understand that and thanks.
    In this case though, I already have the rectangle (15 W by 33 high inside the door rails and stiles) and am looking for how far down from the top should I have the bottom of the 2 leaded glass rectangles.

Then again, I asked the Mrs. what she thought and after looking at the photos she noticed the cross pieces were at the height of the interior top shelf.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 05-23-2010 at 3:42 PM.

Save the info for the next thing you plan.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Two pleasing rectangles are the root 2,and the Golden Mean. The golden mean is found much used in nature. The height and width of many trees is found to fit into the golden mean,and many other natural forms are generated from it.. The ancient Greeks used the golden mean to design their most beautiful buildings.

the golden mean is .618 X the length of the other side of a rectangle. If a rectangle is 2" on one side,2 x .618= 1.236 for the other side.

The rt.2 is had by drawing a square whose sides are the length you ant the short side of a rectangle to be. Then,draw a diagonal,and swing it down to the base of the square. Draw a vertical line up from the outside end of the diagonal. That gives you the horizontal length of the rectangle.

Google root 2 rectangle to see drawings of how to generate it. I just did.
    In other words, the rt.2 has the long side of the rectangle 1.414 X the lenght of the short side (or put in terms similar to the golden mean, .707 X the length of the long side of the rectangle gives you the short side). This allows you to just calculate (like the golden mean) instead of having to draw anything out.