Thread: first hvlp spray system

first hvlp spray system

what is a good beginner HVLP system to get into? I am currently looking at the earlex HV5000 from Woodcraft. Does anyone have any experience with this system or another system?

Great system, you will not regret the purchase plus it's on sale! I ordered an extra pot, one for stains the other for clear coating.

I don't own a turbine system but have used a couple for very short periods. Earlex has a great reputation and will be a good system for you.

Personally I prefer top cup guns for ease of clean up but they are far from required.

Welcome to spray finishing, it opens up a ton of possibilities.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I just pulled the trigger (pun intended!) on this yesterday evening. We'll see how it goes! I've never had a spray system before, so my expectations are zero. I need to paint a series of shutters that I'm building for the house. I'm hoping this machine can handle the latex I got matched to the current trim. We'll see how it goes!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Davis View Post
    I just pulled the trigger (pun intended!) on this yesterday evening. We'll see how it goes! I've never had a spray system before, so my expectations are zero. I need to paint a series of shutters that I'm building for the house. I'm hoping this machine can handle the latex I got matched to the current trim. We'll see how it goes!
    If you got the Earlex, it should have a viscosity cup and directions/guidance in the manual.

I am able to spray pro-classic with a top cup gun and small needle set (1.3 I think) but I have to reduce it 20% or so.

The manual should give you ratings for what viscosity it will take. You will have to reduce the latex some for sure.

It isn't the idea tool for spraying latex paint but it can often be made to work and is a lot better than a brush, at least for me.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I have the Earlex HV5000

and I am happy with it. I love the portability of the turbine and the warmer dryer air coming out in the winter time. I use the 2.0 tip for everything except Analine Dyes which I use the 1.5 for that. I spray per-cat lacquer almost exclusively, both clear and colored. Since I went HVLP, my lacquer consumption is almost half of what it used to be.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville