Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Festool drill - purchase before the sale is over?

New Festool drill - purchase before the sale is over?

Hello,

The chuck on my dewalt drill is barely functioning and not long for the world so I've been researching alternatives for my next cordless drill.

Since I've been very pleased with the festool tools I have, I've considered the new festool drill that's on sale until 11/30.

While it's definitely priced higher than other drills, I've found that the my festool tools are worth the premium price to me.

However, based on information I've gathered on this site, I've decided that I'm probably not going to purchase the festool drill for the following reason:

1) American standard hex bits don't fit the festool drill. While there's an adapter, using the adapter introduces more runout in the bit and eliminates the small formfactor advantage of the drill.

It also means that if I want to use the small formfactor that I have to buy new bits from Festool and keep up with them.

(Correction) It turns out that the new drills come with a standard adjustable chuck that will hold a 1/2 shank bit, so I can use this drill in the same way I use any other drill -- but I lose the biggest advantage of these drills -- the centrotec chuck.

It seems to me the solution would be for Festool to make a centrotec chuck that is sized to fit American bits. They wouldn't be able to sell their specialized bits, but it would make their drill much more acceptable to the American market.

Please let me know if any of my assumptions are wrong.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Thomas Walker; 11-23-2004 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Walker
    Hello,

The collet on my dewalt drill is barely functioning and not long for the world so I've been researching alternatives for my next cordless drill.

Since I've been very pleased with the festool tools I have, I've considered the new festool drill that's on sale until 11/30.

While it's definitely priced higher than other drills, I've found that the my festool tools are worth the premium price to me.

However, based on information I've gathered on this site, I've decided that I'm not going to purchase the festool drill for the following reasons:

1) American standard quick change hex bits don't fit the festool drill. While there's an adapter, using the adapter introduces more runout in the bit and it eliminates the small formfactor advantage of the drill.

It also means that if I want to use the small formfactor that I have to buy new bits. Plus keep up with the separate bits and experience down time if a drill bit breaks.

2) Since the festool drill doesn't have an adjustable collet I can't use bits that have a round shank. This means I have to have another drill handy for my vix bits, spade bits, etc.

3) The specialty collets are nice, but I can buy a right angle drill head at harbor freight for $15, so I don't see them as a tremendous advantage.

Thanks.
    Priced higher than other drills is an understatement. All their tools, in my opinion as well as the opinions of some very reputable magazines, are priced over the top. From what I have read, I'm sure that they are very fine tools. But I've yet to be convinced that a sander priced at 3 times the amount of the average priced sanders (Porta Cable, DeWalt etc.) is plausable. Just my opinion. I read in a recent tool review that the Milwaukee has an excellent 14.4 cordless drill out. The review was in either FWW or Wood or American Woodworker--can't remember.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Why not just replace the chuck on your DeWalt? They are usually very easy to remove and replace, and a decent 1/2" Jacobs chuck can be had for around $30. Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a Festool...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Why not just replace the chuck on your DeWalt? They are usually very easy to remove and replace, and a decent 1/2" Jacobs chuck can be had for around $30. Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a Festool...
    That is a perfect solution Jason.

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

Thomas,

The Centrotec chuck in the new Festool 15.6V drill will hold a hex shank...but it depends. The Irwin hex shank (spade bit) will fit but I have some other hex shanks that will not so it could be a game to find stuff that fits unfortunately. However, it is a wonderful drill. Is it worth it? Dunno, give me a year to use it and I'll let you know.

The Craftsman 14.4EX drill I have is garbage already. The batteries won't hold a charge for longer than 10 minutes of normal drilling. I should say that the drill is fine...the batteries stink. I'm dumping this thing and ain't buyin' no more Craftsman power/wood tools.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Walker
    Hello,

The chuck on my dewalt drill is barely functioning and not long for the world so I've been researching alternatives for my next cordless drill.

However, based on information I've gathered on this site, I've decided that I'm probably not going to purchase the festool drill for the following reason:

1) American standard hex bits don't fit the festool drill. While there's an adapter, using the adapter introduces more runout in the bit and eliminates the small formfactor advantage of the drill.

It also means that if I want to use the small formfactor that I have to buy new bits from Festool and keep up with them.

(Correction) It turns out that the new drills come with a standard adjustable chuck that will hold a 1/2 shank bit, so I can use this drill in the same way I use any other drill -- but I lose the biggest advantage of these drills -- the centrotec chuck.

It seems to me the solution would be for Festool to make a centrotec chuck that is sized to fit American bits. They wouldn't be able to sell their specialized bits, but it would make their drill much more acceptable to the American market.

Thanks.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Festool TDK. But if you don't really want/need it replacing your Dewalt's chuck would certainly be another good solution.

As far as I know, the Centrotec chuck does neither work with standard European bits, nor does it work with common American bits. I'm not sure but I think that the shafts of common Euro and US bits even have the same size. As my bits and my caliper are about 150 km away from here, I can't check that right now but I hope to do so next weekend.
    I understand that the Centrotec chuck was designed in order to combine short size and low weight with quick bit changing and a max of true running precision.
    Just have a look at this document from Festool Australia. You'll notice that a common hex shaft bit (no matter whether it's a European, Aussie or US type) can't fit the Centrotec chuck because it’s too short.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Hey Chris,

Why not have the batteries rebuilt by one of the specialty battery stores? Or are you that disgusted with the drill? I swore off anything with a motor of any kind from sears years ago.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Rebuilt batteries, from what I have found, aren't cheap and if I have both done, it appears about equal to what I paid for the drill/batteries in the first place. Besides, I already have the $$$ Festool taking its place so I'm just gonna dump it for cheap. I'm officially "swore off"....

centrotek...cocentric...concentric.....I believe the word should be eccentric. For the price of those tools, they should accept what ever type of drill bit I put in it! Just my opinion.

Benito Juarez

Aurelio,

It would be nice but I think the design of it is quite specific. Dunno if you ever seen the Centrotec chuck but it is just a small little piece of plastic really.... Further, the design of the piece one can chuck into is pretty specific, too. Like I said, I did find a spade bit that fit it...mostly. It was't a 100% solid fit but good enough to allow me to drill a 1 1/8" hole in a stud with a spade bit....

Despite the uniqueness of the Centrotec chuck, I am very glad I bought the Festool TDK 12v Set last month. I've already benefitted from the alternative chucks and when I need a really short reach, a standard wire-detent bit fits in the nose of the tool (sans chuck) or in either the right angle or excentric chucks. Without the sale, I probably would not have "bit" on this tool, but I was much more comfortable with the incentive. Plus, I got to retire my very old PC 14.4 drill/driver that was on its last legs. Between the TDK and my Dewalt 14.4v drill/driver, I'm covered for anything I'd want to do with a cordless system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am in agreement with Jim here. Yes, the Centrotec is somewhat proprietary, but it can be used with the supplied adapter for standard US bits, and those bits will fit directly into the drill spindle sans chuck (as well as the RA and Offset adapters). The issue is really that the Centrotec was developed specifically to solve the runout problems that are inherent in the rather poorly controlled hex driven tools, that we have all come to know and love because of their rapid change capability. Controlling runout on a motley collection of hex driven tools, all made to various levels of quality, is not realistic. The Centrotec has a full cylindrical component to control runout in tools made to fit it correctly (as in Festool's own drill bits, drivers, and chamfers) and, consequently, they run very concentrically. Again, however, with the provided adapter, or without any adapter, you can run the short hex bits easily. You get the benefit of increased accessibility to boot. This is a very well designed and built drilling and screwing system and is worth every penny it costs.

Why do some cabinets cost three times as much as others? Because they are made with better materials, designed to last longer, and built with better craftsmanship. Tools ain't no different.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Aurelio,

It would be nice but I think the design of it is quite specific. Dunno if you ever seen the Centrotec chuck but it is just a small little piece of plastic really.... Further, the design of the piece one can chuck into is pretty specific, too. Like I said, I did find a spade bit that fit it...mostly. It was't a 100% solid fit but good enough to allow me to drill a 1 1/8" hole in a stud with a spade bit....
    You're right Chris. I am not familiar with the tool. I'm sure though that it is a quality tool.

Benito Juarez

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mann
    I am in agreement with Jim here. Yes, the Centrotec is somewhat proprietary, but it can be used with the supplied adapter for standard US bits, and those bits will fit directly into the drill spindle sans chuck (as well as the RA and Offset adapters). The issue is really that the Centrotec was developed specifically to solve the runout problems that are inherent in the rather poorly controlled hex driven tools, that we have all come to know and love because of their rapid change capability. Controlling runout on a motley collection of hex driven tools, all made to various levels of quality, is not realistic. The Centrotec has a full cylindrical component to control runout in tools made to fit it correctly (as in Festool's own drill bits, drivers, and chamfers) and, consequently, they run very concentrically. Again, however, with the provided adapter, or without any adapter, you can run the short hex bits easily. You get the benefit of increased accessibility to boot. This is a very well designed and built drilling and screwing system and is worth every penny it costs.

Why do some cabinets cost three times as much as others? Because they are made with better materials, designed to last longer, and built with better craftsmanship. Tools ain't no different.

Greg
    I'm not disagreeing with you, however, if I paid the workers in Taiwan or Japan what workers get in say Germany, what would the Porter Cable cost me then? I could guarentee you that the tool would cost more. The thing is that just because it cost more, your not gonna convince me that that alone determines quality. It may be a better tool. I'm not saying that its not. I'm just saying that cost in and of itself isn't the only thing that determines quality. Some manufacturers have outsourced to other countries in order to maintain the same quality, keep the cost down, and all the while pad their pockets just as much or more than they were doing prior to the move. One of the most obvious example of where you could get a better product cheaper was when Japan was building a better product at a better price than the US when they flooded our country with better vehicles. Just some things that came to mind...

Benito Juarez

Quote Originally Posted by aurelio alarcon
    I'm not disagreeing with you, however, if I paid the workers in Taiwan or Japan what workers get in say Germany, what would the Porter Cable cost me then? I could guarentee you that the tool would cost more. The thing is that just because it cost more, your not gonna convince me that that alone determines quality. It may be a better tool. I'm not saying that its not. I'm just saying that cost in and of itself isn't the only thing that determines quality. Some manufacturers have outsourced to other countries in order to maintain the same quality, keep the cost down, and all the while pad their pockets just as much or more than they were doing prior to the move. One of the most obvious example of where you could get a better product cheaper was when Japan was building a better product at a better price than the US when they flooded our country with better vehicles. Just some things that came to mind...
    Aurelio,

I would not try to convince you that because it costs more it is a better tool. I believe it is exactly the other way around. I never said that cost alone determines quality. That was your take on my post and I don't see how you got there. It is a better tool, therefore it costs more, precisely because it costs more to make a better tool. Better gears, better bearings, tighter tolerances, more time in the design stages, more time in the testing stages, etc. And yes, higher wages in Germany than China. If Festool decides to be loyal to its employees and manufacture in Germany and that means you will pay more than if they are not loyal and outsource, then they run the risk of not selling to you because you seem to covet the cheaper price. Maybe they have decided to stay home and not "all the while pad their pockets just as much". Maybe they have decided they will make the tools in their own way, to high design and quality standards, charge accordingly, and accept that they will sell only to those who appreciate that effort. If that's not you then it's not you. Thomas wants to know if those of us who have bought the drill think it is worthy of the extra cost. So far, I haven't read anyone who has the drill say he regrets it. And, speaking for myself, if I am paying a little more because Festool has been loyal to its workers, I can live with it. We could use a little more of that around here.

Greg