Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand planing Beats Power Sanding in Contest

Hand planing Beats Power Sanding in Contest

Fine Woodworking magazine had a competition between hand planing and power sanding.
    They call it the Surface Prep Shootout. Hand planes won (sharpening included). I'm sure it's all subjective, but they had an audience of judges...( was Lie Nielsen one of them)

I was surprised. My own tests confirm that sanding is way faster.

I would say belt sanding before the RO sanding would speed things up a lot.
    I use 2- RO sanders one in each hand for large areas ( is that cheating?)

Does anyone have more ideas to keep us power tool users out of the losers bracket?

Here's a link:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...-have-a-winner

Oh and they used an older PC 333 sander. I have a PC 333 and it's not the fastest RO sander out there anymore.

Since when is speed the measure of fine woodwork?

Sanding excels in its ease. No tearout. One device fits all. With a soft backing pad, you can even handle gentle curves.

OK, I never sand if I can help it, but my thoughts are...

.. what was the contest on. Was it on face frames? What kind of wood.

The good thing about sanding in a production or semi-production environment is that if you have good equipment (like a nice WBS), you do your joinery and get everything glued, and then you ram your face frame and doors through the wide belt sander and get everything trued.

All you have to do yet is finish sanding.

If you're just doing a single panel, a hand plane would be faster. If you're putting together a kitchen full of arch raised panel doors and you're doing things properly, no way.

Not to mention (I worked in a large cabinet factory when I was in college), I can load doors into the WBS two or three wide constantly.

I like hand planes better, but it's not because they're quicker in every situation. To make an article trying to say "this one is quicker than the other" is just a bit goofy. If hand planes were really faster, then aristokraft would have several dozen people running around the plant doing face frames and doors with hand planes. I sure never saw a hand plane in that place.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 05-25-2010 at 5:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Since when is speed the measure of fine woodwork?
    +1 If yer in a hurry....buy Ikea.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    +1 If yer in a hurry....buy Ikea.
    Ikea is merely the illusion of speed. You forgot to factor in a second trip to the store to pick up some strange, semi-proprietary RTA connector they didn't include.

Here's a planes-versus-sanders contest that I'd want to read about...

It'd be a contest about surface quality. The quality would be judged after finish is applied, just as wood is used in the real world. The contest would use a variety of woods -- straight-grain, curly, fine-grain, coarse-grain, etc. Judging would be done by expert woodworkers, not journalists. And the judging would be done in a real double-blind set-up, so the preconceptions of the judges wouldn't affect the results.

I read that and was not surprised BUT I will still sand since sanding produces about the same finish if done by a master woodworker or a trained monkey, since I am the latter sanding gives me a better finish. Using hand tools takes some level of skill something I just can't bring myself to spend the time to learn partly since I would get hooked and end up spending a TON of money on LN stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    OK, I never sand if I can help it, but my thoughts are...

.. what was the contest on. Was it on face frames? What kind of wood.

The good thing about sanding in a production or semi-production environment is that if you have good equipment (like a nice WBS), you do your joinery and get everything glued, and then you ram your face frame and doors through the wide belt sander and get everything trued.

All you have to do yet is finish sanding.

If you're just doing a single panel, a hand plane would be faster. If you're putting together a kitchen full of arch raised panel doors and you're doing things properly, no way.

Not to mention (I worked in a large cabinet factory when I was in college), I can load doors into the WBS two or three wide constantly.

I like hand planes better, but it's not because they're quicker in every situation. To make an article trying to say "this one is quicker than the other" is just a bit goofy. If hand planes were really faster, then aristokraft would have several dozen people running around the plant doing face frames and doors with hand planes. I sure never saw a hand plane in that place.
    The article did come with stipulations, the handplane ended up being slightly faster, but the craftsman even said he "kept his eye on the game clock" and would "have been more thorough in some areas". He also only used two handplanes a smoother and a block plane. A full compliment of planes would probably have increased the speed.

It's a trade off really, all about what you want out of woodworking. Abrasive paper and planes have both evolved to solve some similar problems, but excel in different situations.

Not sure using a Wide Belt sander, would have been a fair comparison. I think the article was to offer the more casual woodworker/ craftsman exposure and a comparison of different techniques. It wasn't for the production minded facillity manufacturing stacks of doors.

There is a difference in finish left behind. There are no doubts about that. It's really a matter of what you as a craftsman want to put your energy into. Personally, I use both depending on task. I'd much rather spend some quiet time planing than my hands vibrating and my face full of dust. But I also am not "manufacturing" anything

I personally thought it was a very strange article myself, but after reading it a second time I really feel it was a "creative way" to introduce the thought of finish hand planing as an alternative to the sander most people grab for first. If it wasn't a race, would any of you power tool junkies read it?

Now, if this thread had been posted in the Neader section, the responses would have been TOTALLY different....

Odd how defensive some of the responses are. I understand opinion, but it seems like some are taking this personally.

It was a head to head contest that pointed to one method winning out. That's it. Don't read into it. Someone said since when is wwing about speed... I want to know when it became a contest!

To each his own. The fewer elitist, the better in my book.

My hat is off to anyone that can hand plane to a finishing product faster than I can 80, 120, 180 him... or her as the case may be.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    All in good fun and it looked like everyone enjoyed the event. I wonder how things would have worked out if the two of them had switched weapons and repeated the exercise?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Here's a planes-versus-sanders contest that I'd want to read about...

It'd be a contest about surface quality. The quality would be judged after finish is applied, just as wood is used in the real world. The contest would use a variety of woods -- straight-grain, curly, fine-grain, coarse-grain, etc. Judging would be done by expert woodworkers, not journalists. And the judging would be done in a real double-blind set-up, so the preconceptions of the judges wouldn't affect the results.
    I agree. The quality of the finished surface is first. That's why I'm surprised they picked that sander. Some sanders make more swirl marks than others. The PC 333 isn't a top performer in that area.

I'd like to see Jamie's criteria for judging with a dollar limit on tools. Say $500. This contest had $500 in planes VS a $60 sander. $500 buys a fine belt sander and 2 good RO sanders.
    Of course that eliminates drum sanders and wide belts.

2 L-N planes versus a PC-333? I would think if "they" could use a L-N, then the power sanders could use a Festool 5 AND 6" ROS.....

Competetions are always skewed to someone. You can get a VW bug to beat a F1 race car. Who gets farther on a gallon of gas. It's all relative.

I read that one and wondered if it wouldn't have been more appropriate to have only one contestant. First use the hand plane, then the sander. Of course the contestant could skew the results to favor their preferred method, but it takes away the silliness of the wood working drag race they set up. Perhaps one of the two would have been quicker regardless of the tools used. Not sure just what if anything they proved. Wood workers have hard heads and strong opinions?

In any event I found that article amusing but completely uninformative for my own situation. I own hand planes, I love using them, I strive to improve my skill with them regularly, but I can screw things up quicker with a hand plane than anything at this stage, and I'm decent with a sander. Hand plane versus sander? Who cares, just as long as you enjoy what you are doing and get results you can accept.