Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mdf templates

mdf templates

I just got a catalogue in from mlcs and saw this template set for making platters etc. Very neat and something id definitely be interested in.

I was informed by another creeker that someone with a cnc maybe able to make this alot cheaper than the 100 dollars mlcs wants. Of course theres comes with the bits but I could also get those later or at least be able to get the ones with the quality i want.

if anyone is interested in doing this please pm me and thanks for reading this.

karl
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I just got a catalogue in from mlcs and saw this template set for making platters etc. Very neat and something id definitely be interested in.

I was informed by another creeker that someone with a cnc maybe able to make this alot cheaper than the 100 dollars mlcs wants. Of course theres comes with the bits but I could also get those later or at least be able to get the ones with the quality i want.

if anyone is interested in doing this please pm me and thanks for reading this.

karl
    Interested in doing what, exactly? Helping you acquire some templates, or buy platters from you after you buy the templates?

karl you need someone to make templates and hopefully at a savings, i presume by platter you mean plate? as in round or oval?

jim

I believe what Karl wants is someone to make router templates for him so he can make his own specialty platters like candy dishes and such. MLCS has a routing template set on their web site and in their catalog with pictures of the system.

Some of the pics i have seen were platters that were round or had a unique shape like a large leaf, these had multiple areas (cubby holes) routed out for candy, spices, veggies, etc. There isn't anything special about the router bits they provide, they are available everywhere. Some platters are made by routing multiple layers of walnut and maple, then glueing the layers up to get a thicker platter with deeper cubby holes.

I use to make these types of routing patterns to cut heart patterns from steel sheet back in the day, before CNC (BCNC).
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-25-2010 at 10:17 PM.

It would be wise to change the design somewhat so they don't infringe on any intellectual rights that might exist. The added benefit is they would be truly custom.

In order to keep the templates cost effective I would recommend that you make cad drawings for the templates, since drawing the parts would probably take longer then actually cutting them.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 05-26-2010 at 1:44 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Thanks Keith for the input, and I apoligize for not making the post more clear. I have a bad habit of mind runs faster than the fingers on the keyboard...

Basically what Keith said is what I am trying to do. I just dont need to be spending 100 dollars on a template set... Not saying it is not worth it, just dont have it.. Not looking something for nothing either... just a little/alot of help...

Very good point on the patent/rights deal there also...

I do appreciate the creekers that have pm'ed me and we shall see where this goes..

Karl
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

This would make an excellent community project if a large group of our CNC operators would each contribute just one design each. No doubt we would end up with a large selection of project designs that we could share with everyone.

i will be glad to help!! show me a pic.

jim

I wish my CAD skills were better. This sounds like a fun project as a group. At this point, I wouldn't be any help.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    This would make an excellent community project if a large group of our CNC operators would each contribute just one design each. No doubt we would end up with a large selection of project designs that we could share with everyone.
    I will work on a few designs when I have some free time.

how about an open source data base of projects accessible by contributers?
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 05-26-2010 at 2:28 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    It would be wise to change the design somewhat so they don't infringe on any intellectual rights that might exist. The added benefit is they would be truly custom.

In order to keep the templates cost effective I would recommend that you make cad drawings for the templates, since drawing the parts would probably take longer then actually cutting them.
    Yes Michael,, thanks for bringing this up. I suggest that we don't try to circumvent the IP rights by changing it somewhat, let's be original. Just because we have the ability to look at something in the store or catalog and make it for less does not mean we should or have a right to step on some one's toes. I just had my lawyer send out another C & D (cease and desist) to someone who claims to have a patent on something un related but yet no # to verify it with and has the nerve to copy both of my patents verbatim. Most reputable business' will honor a C&D but crooks will always be crooks.

If there was a theme and other parameters this could be a fun project that would Bless other SMC contributors and maybe a catalog could be set up online and a link to all of us CNCer's on the FOTC for those that may want to contract with us to make some for them. Just a thought!
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    I will work on a few designs when I have some free time.

how about an open source data base of projects accessible by contributers?
    Michael Keith and I were talking about file sharing here on the creek. We have a large number of folks looking at what is going on here, but we can have more feedback and return visits if we do have a file swap. It is a great Idea and I would love to help out. If I get any free time.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

I am will to join and help out
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

File sharing has proven to be a major benefit for our laser engravers here. The success and growth of our engraving forum has been amazing as they have found serious strength by banding together sharing not only pictures and information concerning their work but the files they create.

Obviously we can't share files that contain any copy protected drawings but there are plenty of people here who are creating their own graphics and files that could be shared and/or modified by others to suit a particular job. People who are new to CNC work benefit in a big way by having an existing file to run or to modify rather than starting from scratch.

If anyone prefers to limit the number of people who have access to the files they are willing to share we can use the Lumber Yard Forum for file uploads. It is limited to Contributors and is not open to any search engine activity. The Lumber Yard is a private and secure space.

Over the upcoming Holiday weekend I will find some time to create a set of router templates for this project. The template files can easily be used by anyone with a CNC machine or for the expressed purpose of creating templates for hand routing.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-27-2010 at 7:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Count me in as well guys.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.