Thread: Hollow forms

Question Hollow forms

I am thinking about getting into hollow forms (no pun intended) and looking for advice on where to start. I looked through the Craft Suppiles catalogue and there are several systems for hollowing. Is one any better than the other? I did not see any books or vidieos on the subject, are there any somewhere else? How do you clear out the chips during hollowing?

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg,

I'll have to give you a subjective opinion mainly because I'll never have the sponsorship or the cash to try every hollowing system to form an objective opinion. I like the captured hollowing systems and settled on the Jamieson rig. It works well, is easy to control, and while a significant deviation from the more traditional methods of hollowing with handheld tools and muscle, I believe it is safer.

I built my own capture rest per the plans that come with the hollowing tool as opposed to buying one. I also have and like the laser attachment for gauging wall thickness. Lyle Jamieson also has a video that covers hollow form turning in general, and the use of his rig specifically.

As for clearing chips, for the most part I use a shop vac and compressed air (lathe stopped).

The are several capture systems on the market, I don't imagine there's a huge difference between them. They all function on pretty much the same principle.

Cheers,
    Brad

Greg,

Pick up a copy of David Ellsworth's video on turning hollow forms. He explains everything very well. Better yet, take one of his classes!!

Jack

I believe that everyone should learn to hollow using "manual" tools, such as the Ellsworth set that Jack mentions or the Stewart systems by example. But I would not give up my Jamison captive system, for sure...it lets me hollow for long periods of time with little effort so I can concentrate on the "art" rather than my aching arms.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I will give up my Stewart tool when they pry it from my cold dead hands!