Thread: Small Thanksgiving gloat!

Small Thanksgiving gloat!

I've recently started to get interested in lowering the electron count in my shop and have been on the lookout for some reasonably priced planes. I've acquired a few eBay clunkers that need a bit of work, and have turned my fantasies to walking into an antique store to find a trove of goodies and an owner who doesn't know what s/he has. Right!

While visiting my sister and her husband, whose deceased father was a woodworker, I asked if the old guy had left my BIL any hand tools. I wasn't expecting much, having seen the power tools in the house, but was I surprised. The picture shows what I walked away with:

Top row, left to right:
    1. Craftsman beading plane (unfortunately minus all but one of the cutters)
    2. Stanley #78 in excellent condition;
    3. Stanley 18A block in very good condition;
    4. Stanley 140-complete but needs to be cleaned up;
    5. Stanley Bailey #3 (type 19) in excellent condition;
    6. Really beat up Sargeant 409 that looks salvagable;
    7. Vaughn and Bushnell 904 (VG) and 905 (G-tote tip is broken);
    8. Adjustable auger bit-not sure of the make

"Second row", l-r:
    9. Stanley "Yankee" brace-nothing fancy or rare, probably about 30 years old and in great shape;
    10. Stanley marking guage;
    11. Misc. Stanley SW chisels in fine shape;
    12. Stanley 53 spokeshave in fine condition but "common as mud" according to P. Leach;
    13. Weird Stanley mason's chisel sharpened to use on wood, it appears;
    14. Stanley #77 Mortise guage;
    15. Assorted Auger bits-Craftsman I think;
    16. Very nice protractor-can't remember the brand.

What I could not get the BIL to part with was an absolutely pristine set of Russell Jennings auger bits in a box. (You may have seen the ebay listing mentioned on the Woodnet forum, which consisted of a rare brace and a set of these bits, and which went for over $600 (which most agreed was pretty ridiculous). The label in the box looked brand new, and the bits looked like they had never been used. The box was signed by BIL's dad. who wrote down the name of the shop the set was purchased from in 1946. I tried, but could not talk BIL out of the bits. Best I could do was to get him to agree to leave them to me in his will. (He could lose a few pounds so I'm hopeful. ;>) When I showed him the ebay listing, you could see the dollar signs dancing in his eyes.

Not a bad haul for a decent price-having to put up with BIL. ;>) Cheers,

p.s.-Anyone have any idea where to track down a set of the Craftsman beading bits? I have no idea when I'd use this plane, but it looks like it might come in handy some day.

Since I posted this, I've found out that the brace is a pretty cool North Bros. 2101 with a 12" throw. See page 72 of Issue 144 (November 2004) of PWW Mag.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tony Sade; 11-29-2004 at 9:25 AM. Reason: New info on brace.
    Tony

Tony,

All I can say is WOW! What a haul!

If I were you I'd be rolling all over the floor practically peeing with glee over such a bonanza!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade
    12. Stanley 53 spokeshave in fine condition but "common as mud" according to P. Leach;
    P. Leach has done a nice service to the WW community by putting up his site, in that it serves as a basic -- "this is what #XYZ looks like that this is what it's used for" -- reference on Stanley planes, thus keeping many of us from having to buy books on the subject.

With that said, however, my strong adherence to the spirit of the SMC terms of service prevents me from telling you my opinion of his likely woodworking skills and experience -- or lack thereof.

IMHO, a free spokeshave, in excellent condition, is a real prize by any rational measure.

What I could not get the BIL to part with was an absolutely pristine set of Russell Jennings auger bits in a box. ... When I showed him the ebay listing, you could see the dollar signs dancing in his eyes.
    OOPS! Hint for all for the future. Never show BIL (or any other non-woodworking relation who is handing over a treasure trove of goodies) any eBay listings until after he or she gives up the goods!

p.s.-Anyone have any idea where to track down a set of the Craftsman beading bits? I have no idea when I'd use this plane, but it looks like it might come in handy some day.
    I don't know where to get them but I bet they'd be really easy to make.
    Last edited by Tom LaRussa; 11-28-2004 at 9:51 PM. Reason: to correct a punctuation error
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Tony,

That's a great catch.......a wonderful gloat to me!!! You did very well

Nice Haul!

The beading plane, I believe, was made by Sargent - I think the Sargent model number was 1080. I don't know for sure, you might be able to use the cutters from a Stanley 45 in it, but maybe not, too. It has something to do with the notch(es) on upper part of the cutter and how they are held in the plane, if you can't. I think the Sargent version has 2 notches.

Oldtools discussion on Sargent plane.

Another oldtools link

A third.

You see Sargent cutters go by occasionally on Ebay, or you can check with guys like Walt Q, who could keep an eye out for you if he doesn't have any. He posts on Woodnet quite a bit, and may post here too once in a while, I'm not sure.

If you are looking for Sargent cutters over the ubiquitous Stanley offerings, keep an eye open for a set of cutters in a brown canvas tool wrap - those are almost always Sargent cutters.

Notice that I said "I think", "I believe", and "can't say for sure" a lot - just hoping I can point you in the right direction with it.

HTH

Leif

Originally posted by Tom LaRussa

OOPS! Hint for all for the future. Never show BIL (or any other non-woodworking relation who is handing over a treasure trove of goodies) any eBay listings until after he or she gives up the goods!
    I hear you, Tom. I didn't put him on to the ebay auction until after I was quite sure (beg, beg!) the auger set wasn't going home with me. (Wait until he finds out what the rest of the stuff, especially the Everlast chisels, are worth.)

Originally posted by Leif Hanson
    You see Sargent cutters go by occasionally on Ebay, or you can check with guys like Walt Q, who could keep an eye out for you if he doesn't have any. He posts on Woodnet quite a bit, and may post here too once in a while, I'm not sure.
    Thanks, Leif. I've sent an email to Walt, asking him to let me know if he comes across a set of the cutters, provided they cost less than the national debt (of Bolivia, at least.). I've looked around elsewhere, but all I can find is the entire set.
    Tony

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Not only sliding the slippery slope, but tumbling head over heals! Nice haul I feel your pain Tony, enjoy.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Great tools...you did well!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"