Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamp Rack - Gloat

Clamp Rack - Gloat

Finally got the clamp rack finished. Initial idea from a post on Lumberjocks, who got the idea from a guy's website: (http://woodworking.phruksawan.com/clampCabinet/),
    then after I finished it, I noticed it on the cover of FWW's 201 Tips for Woodworkers. So, clearly a few people have liked the design.

It allows for storage of at least 30 clamps, in very minimal space.

Anything I can do to save space in this 2 car garage that needs its car back, the better.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 05-27-2010 at 5:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Well done. Great use of space.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

2 thumbs up

Before I scrolled down to the second photo I was thinking, "now how hard is it to get to the back row?" then scroll.... Doh!

Excellent rack my friend

I wonder if I could beef it up a bit and use it to hold 3 rows of the heavy Stanly parallel clamps.

My shop has clamps stored in every available hole/cubby/shelf/corner
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Lesson learned the hard way building it. Use biscuits or screws for all the joints. Too many butt joints -- too much weight, gravity is strong on this planet.

There needs to be some corrollary to the "You can't have too many clamps" adage that deals with all available space sucked up by clamp storage.

I also think piano hinges would work better to support the weight, and instead of magnetic catches, double roller friction catches would help support the weight when closed.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 05-27-2010 at 1:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Before I scrolled down to the second photo I was thinking, "now how hard is it to get to the back row?" then scroll.... Doh!
    I did the same exact thing, lol

+1 more on the "How do you get the clamps out of the back row" deal.

Really neat design!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fantastic use of space. Add me to the ask befor I read the whole post clan.

I may have to add one of these to my one car shop, er garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Lesson learned the hard way building it. Use biscuits or screws for all the joints. Too many butt joints -- too much weight, gravity is strong on this planet.

There needs to be some corrollary to the "You can't have too many clamps" adage that deals with all available space sucked up by clamp storage.

I also think piano hinges would work better to support the weight, and instead of magnetic catches, double roller friction catches would help support the weight when closed.
    a joint such as this should help with your 'butt joint' conditions. Its pretty simple.

Very creative solution to the clamp storage 'problem' we all have !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    a joint such as this should help with your 'butt joint' conditions. Its pretty simple.

Very creative solution to the clamp storage 'problem' we all have !!
    I've seen Suwat's design now for a couple of years and have been wanting to build one, but basically a double size version. (I am already WAY over the 30 clamps thing...). That locking rabbet is a great idea, I was actually thinking of getting fancy and whipping out the dovetail jig, but this would be faster and easier, and I'm all for that on something like this...

I couldn't agree more with the anything to save space in a 2 car garage shop motif... I am ALWAYS trying to figure out ways to save space... Or at least better utilize the space I do have....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Yes, Suwat deserves all the credit for the design. But in building it, it became clear that it needs reinforcement. You know, you figure that if you glue and clamp well, "the joint will be just fine." Well, it wasn't. Weak joints are, well, weak.

Locking rabbet joints clearly would have been an improvement. Also, incorporating a way to hold spring clamps hanging from the bottom would be a plus.

Yes, Suwat deserves all the credit for the design. But in building it, it became clear that it needs reinforcement. You know, you figure that if you glue and clamp well, "the joint will be just fine." Well, it wasn't. Weak joints are, well, weak.

Locking rabbet joints clearly would have been an improvement. Also, incorporating a way to hold spring clamps hanging from the bottom would be a plus.
    Thats another good idea. My spring clamps are attached to anything with a lip around my shop.

You could put a piece of 1x2 with a 3/4" apron that hangs down a bit on the bottom of the outer door, that should work.

Interesting thought. I am concerned about the weight on the outmost rack section, as that has the fewest hinges.

I'm probably going to change the hinges to piano hinges for extra support. Does anyone know if longer piano hinges can be cut into sections?

Lee that looks like a modified mortise and tenon joint. I would think in this applicationa 1/2 lap would be the best joint since you would maximize the amount of contact surface.

BTW I love that clamp rack design......I may build one similar to it once my cast iron is moved.....

Does anyone know if longer piano hinges can be cut into sections?
    Absolutely.

Don't know why I didn't think of it (trying to knock this up quick and dirty, I suppose), but through-dovetails would have been a great solution too.

Many ways to skin a cat...