Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Small Planer?

Mr. McKenzie has it right.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Mr. McKenzie has it right.

Haven't we gone a little far afield here? That is an EXCELLENT planer BUT for the price of that planer you could get a Hammer A3 31 and get enough change back to buy the 10" Grizzly combo machine!! You could get a Grizzly 12" jointer and 20" planer both with a spiral head...

sniping is incredible on the dw735 figure about 3" at both ends. I had a makita 2012 which was a nice little planer with a funky sized dust port.
    Fullerbuilt

Eiji,
    While your input on the snipe you experienced is valid and another data point on the DW735, I haven't had any snipe at all, and I wonder if perhaps it might be due to improper setup? When I first got the planer, the infeed and outfeed tables were not adjusted correctly, which caused a slight snipe, easily corrected by reading the installation instructions and tweaking 4 bolts. Since these are user-added (bought mine used with them already installed), you may have installed them slightly off or too high, which consideration I put forward because in most threads on the DW735 the LACK OF SNIPE is one of it's main selling points. I use a 24" Grizzly planer at my work woodshop, and prefer using the DW735 at home when able due to nicer finish and less/no snipe.

In fact, the FWW 2009 Tool Guide rated the DW735 as the LEAST snipe of all 10 lunchbox planers they tested, less than .001" infeed and outfeed snipe on a 1/32" deep cut.

In fact, on the paragraph on snipe they said:
    "SNIPE (the big issue) and depth of cut:
    The DeWalt 735 excelled at reducing snipe.Springs located at each corner post supply constant downward pressure, eliminating any movement in the cutterhead assembly. Other ways to combat snipe include locking cutter heads and tilted infeed and outfeed tables. The Makita, Steel City, and DeWalt 734 also controlled snipe well."

<< There's that Makita
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    I've owned the Ridgid 13" from HD for years and no problems.
    Donny

Me too!

The Hammer A3-31 has already been mentioned.

If you want a combo machine that's low in price and high in performance, it's the one.

I've owned mine for 2 years now, fantastic machine.

Knife changes take 1 minute per knife, no adjustment required.

The machine is compact, powerful and extremely accurate.

You can add the digital planer height gauge, it's great, no measuring required, the gauge is accurate to about 0.01mm.

If you need to joint or plane large items add the table extensions, they clip on and off in a few seconds, allowing you to make the machine as large, or as small as required.

In the same space as a small jointer you can know have a 12" jointer and stationary planer, absolutely no comparison to any of the portable machines.

Regards, Rod.

John-if space is an issue for you

and I seem to recall it is--The combos should be a consideration. If you have the time & inclination, the drive west on I-80 to Grizzly in Muncy, PA. is a nice ride this time of year, probably 3:30-3:45 one way . Nothing substitutes for eyes and hands on, for me at least.

Appreciate all the replies. I suppose I should have been a little more specific re price point. Although quality is more important than price, there is a limit, and I'm afraid the Hammer is out of my range.

I was thinking the Hitachi P12RA would be at the high end of my price range, at about $1700. Anyone know that machine? I owned its predecessor 25 years ago.

Not my machine so I didnt do the set up. It maybe needs adjustment.

Regardless of snipe or no snipe Dewalt is not a product I would bring in to a pro shop.
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    I was thinking the Hitachi P12RA would be at the high end of my price range, at about $1700. Anyone know that machine? I owned its predecessor 25 years ago.
    FWIW, the reviews, on Amazon, are pretty darned stellar....

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    Appreciate all the replies. I suppose I should have been a little more specific re price point. Although quality is more important than price, there is a limit, and I'm afraid the Hammer is out of my range.

You do not hear much buzz about that unit. Probably because you can get a Dewalt 635 and a Grizzly 6" jointer both with a spiral head for less money...

If I was going to spend $1700 I would wait for a 10% sale on Jet tools, happens fairly often and get a Jet 12" jointer/planer with straight knives and save for a spiral head later down the line. For about $100 more you will get a HECKUVA lot more machine, then again you have space considerations. I gotta say I would rather have the 10" Grizzly for $550 less shipped.

not alot of machine for your buck there. I read all the reviews and it seemed to be quite the machine and I actually wanted one untill I used one. Not too impressive and deffinately not worth the sticker price.
    Fullerbuilt

I've been very happy with the Makita unit. The price on the one listed on Amazon right now is ridiculous. I think I got mine on sale for something like $350??
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I've had a Rigid 13" planer for years, and have had no complaints. The dust collection attachment isn't absolutely perfect, but close. The price isn't bad either.

I bought mine new about 5 years ago for about 400. Sold it last year for 325.

Makitas are nice and do retain there value.
    Fullerbuilt