Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Small Planer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    Is the DeWalt really significantly better than these?
    By nearly all reports, yes. Even those tool makers we may have sour grapes with sometimes have one thing they have done well and still not managed to mess up yet.

Dad has the 735 and I have the 734; both are 3 knife machines but the 735 has the two speed option. Both do a very nice job. I haven't heard much feedback on the Griz you mention but the Delta is commonly referred to by users as "the Snipemaster". The Makita is liked by some folks but like many planers in this format, lacks a carriage lock. The Makita manual recommends always lowering the carriage to height, never adjusting up to it as (and I quote) "additional play in the screw may result. This may cause an undesired finished dimension." The Ridgid also has a good following and is reasonably priced.

All that being said, your occasional use doesn't sound like it requires a $1000 machine. However, I find that things I do occasionally are better when the tool does the job properly. I guess I mean that if I only use a thing 6 times a year, it should at least do the job well.

If I was going to buy a machine with knives again (not going to happen, I'm sold on spiral heads) I would insist on a carriage lock. Close second on the requirements list is a pair of good sized, adjustable tables to correct any snipe problems. Good dust collection follows right after that.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The Makita manual recommends always lowering the carriage to height, never adjusting up to it as (and I quote) "additional play in the screw may result.
    At least they didn't use the 50 cent word "hysteresis". I always think of WWing a "low tech" hobby and it always strikes me odd when an article about wood working pops up with hysteresis, to me its just hysterical...

3. Small Planer

You might look at Delta 13". I have been using mine with the original 2 knife head now for 6 plus years. Other then flipping the double sided blades, I haven't done anything to it. Even planning hard maple, it goes right through the stuff. The only reason I would ever sell it, would be for a larger planer.

A Different Option

I have a Shopsmith Pro Planer that is mounted on its own stand along with a 1.5 hp motor for the cutter head. It turns about 5200 rpm. It has three 12" knifes on the cutting head. It has a seperate DC infeed motor with a variable speed control on the feed. It has a capacity of 12" width and a 4" heigth. You can get a new one from Shopsmith or go to ebay and put "Shopsmith" in the search. Look around but there is currently a used one for around $350 on ebay. This machine cuts great and has plenty of power for a hobbiest. It has a 2.5" outlet for a dust collector in the headstock area. It also has a 24" cast steel feed table with a good 4 screw heigth adjustment w/one handle master adjustment.The feed table moves up or down, Not the cutting head. It also has casters that lets it be mobile. I have had great finished cuts with this machine. And with the adjustable infeed you can get smooth as glass with a slow final feed rate. Check it out. There are a lot of them out there. Just not sold in the box stores. Factory direct and still in business after 60 + years. And MADE IN THE USA!
    Last edited by James Benson; 05-29-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    My first planer was a Ridgid TP1300. It was really good.

I dont think the TP1300 is still in production though, Ridgid is selling something else now.

PHM

6. I have the Makita and like it very much. I have a bunch of their tools and have been generally happy with the brand.