Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockler's Box Joint Jig ...... Review

Rockler's Box Joint Jig ...... Review

To start, I am not affiliated with Rockler in any way. I paid for this jig and was not give any intensives to buy it form Rockler or any person at Rockler. I know no one at Rockler and I have never been give anything from them. I have been in the store 3 or 4 times but everything I left with I paid for and was given noting but a sack and a receipt.

So they have a new little box joint jig, the price is $79 but they had a problem with some of them and the wrong keys were installed so they have those units on sale for $49.99 with the correct key. I guess it is cheaper for them to discount it then to pay someone to open each box and replace the key.

The unit is so easy to set up I thought I must be missing something, this can't work this easy. Install your router bit, place the unit on the router table and with a gauge block you slide it over until the gauge block just fits between the key and the bit and lock it down with two large knobs that tighten up the parts that go in the miter slot. That is one thing, you do have to have a miter slot on your router table,

Now set the bit height, this was were I had a problem, I could not get the adjustment hole for my lift it was covered over by the jig. Well that took all of about 5 min. to fix. A few measurements and a forstner bit and I was back at it.

So I put the gauge block back in moved the unit over until the gauge block would just fit between the bit and the key and locked things down. Cut a small MDF board for a fence and off I went.

I just use some scrap I had to test it and I will have to say the first box joints were spot on and fit perfect, it does what it is made for and very easy to boot.

I know you can make a jig really easy and fast but I have never had much luck doing it, they never come out like they should. I use my PC dovetail jig with the box joint plate for all of my box joints until now.

Is it worth the $79, no I really don't think so is it worth the $49.99 well maybe, it is very easy to set up and it makes a really quick job of making a box joint so I guess you will have to decide that.

Good hardware
    It comes with 3 keys, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2.
    It is made ok, the keys are screwed on and there is a metal plate inside so you are not using a wood screw that will screw up the hole in a shot time.

Things I didn't like:
    I think the whole thing should be made to use by pulling the the boards to you and not pushing them. I do not like NOT seeing the bit at all times and when you are pushing a board and holding it at the same time it is hard to see the bit.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25122

29502-23-500.jpg

Blog Entries
    i bought one of these a few weeks back since it was on sale but have not yet tried it out as im waiting to build my router table but i look forward to using it and it looks very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I think the whole thing should be made to use by pulling the the boards to you and not pushing them. I do not like NOT seeing the bit at all times and when you are pushing a board and holding it at the same time it is hard to see the bit.
    That's an interesting thought. I don't know of any jigs designed to pull the work toward you. I wonder if there is a good reason for that, or just out of habit that we generally push wood past a blade or bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    That's an interesting thought. I don't know of any jigs designed to pull the work toward you. I wonder if there is a good reason for that, or just out of habit that we generally push wood past a blade or bit.
    I think it is just habit, I see no reason to have to push it. If you pulled it to you, you could see the bit at all times and that is what I like.

It is not the bit or the way the wood hits the bit, it is the same angle no matter if you are in front of the bit or behind it.

I may try and make a new base to try it and then if that works better for me I may make one out of 1/2 phenolic, that would really be nice.

Thanks for the review.

I built my own finger joint jig for the table saw recently. I saw this jig at Rocklers but thought $80 was a bit steep. I figured I could copy the design if I want.

As for pushing/pulling the work piece, I'm not crazy about the idea of having a spinning bit popping out the back side of the work piece. But I am less thrilled with having the spinning bit between me and the workpiece as I reposition it on the jig.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I have used this jig with good success but generally use a homemade jig on the table saw. If you want to pull the Rockler jig, can't you just work from the other side of the router table? (Something I sure wouldn't try on the table saw!)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wease View Post
    I have used this jig with good success but generally use a homemade jig on the table saw. If you want to pull the Rockler jig, can't you just work from the other side of the router table? (Something I sure wouldn't try on the table saw!)
    I could but my table is against a wall and I would have to pull it out to do that.

It may be just a thing I need to get used to. I made a box today and it was not to bad but I would still like to see that bit at all times.

That jig looks like a decent little jig for a router table. My RT doesn't have a miter slot, though.

There will be a new gun in town later this year that is just as easy to set . . . naw it is easier to set, works on both TS and router table, but is not limited to just 3 finger sizes- it is infinitely adjustable between 1/8" and 3/4".

I may try and make a new base to try it and then if that works better for me I may make one out of 1/2 phenolic, that would really be nice.
    Couldn't you just put two more slots on the other side of the base, and then use it as either a push or a pull?

Nice review.

Love the intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Couldn't you just put two more slots on the other side of the base, and then use it as either a push or a pull?

Nice review.

Love the intro.
    I think I could by redrilling the hole for the bit, but I think I will make a new one out of phenolic when I get around to it.

I did make a box today with it and it was not to bad, but I would still like to see the bit.

Bill,
    Not to be a smart alec, but couldn't you just stand on the other side of your router table?
    I have a similar jig made by Woodline and find it works very well.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Bill,
    Not to be a smart alec, but couldn't you just stand on the other side of your router table?
    I have a similar jig made by Woodline and find it works very well.
    Mike
    I could but my table is against a wall and I would have to pull it out to do that.

It may be just a thing I need to get used to. I made a box today and it was not to bad but I would still like to see that bit at all times.

rockler jig or incra LS or Woodhaven box joint jig alternatives

HI Bill

I am recently retired and hope to make interesting personalized boxs for grand kids. I very much appreciated your review of rockler jig which sounds like a good buy.

I have been trying to rationalize purchasing the Incra LS for several years but I have read a lot of negative opinions that this is a tricky toy to get et up. I also wonder if the fancy joinery is possible without buying the Wonder Tall Fence accessory.Have you ever considered this jig, any comments?

Woodhaven also seems to have a good jig for box joints.

For a novice woodworker, which of the above would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by tom coleman View Post
    HI Bill

I am recently retired and hope to make interesting personalized boxs for grand kids. I very much appreciated your review of rockler jig which sounds like a good buy.

I have been trying to rationalize purchasing the Incra LS for several years but I have read a lot of negative opinions that this is a tricky toy to get et up. I also wonder if the fancy joinery is possible without buying the Wonder Tall Fence accessory.Have you ever considered this jig, any comments?

Woodhaven also seems to have a good jig for box joints.

For a novice woodworker, which of the above would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
    I think you would have to really talk to someone that has the Incra, it is a really great looking set up but for me it was just a little over priced for my needs at this time as a hobby woodworker. I have watched some of the videos that are out there on the Incra and it does look really nice but just don't thing I would use it that much.

I have a standard router table and fence (Jessem) and am very happy with that and the little Rockler Box Joint jig, I have made a lot of small boxes with it now and it is still doing a great job and is so easy to set up and use.

For the money I still thing the Rockler is a quick and cheap way to get into making box joints, I have never used some of the others. There are a lot of woodworkers that do all their box joints on the table saw, I just did not have much luck with that. I have a PC dove tail jig and it does box joints, it just take a little set up and the Rockler is so fast and easy I just use it.

There are a lot of woodworkers that do all their box joints on the table saw, I just did not have much luck with that. I have a PC dove tail jig and it does box joints, it just take a little set up and the Rockler is so fast and easy I just use it.
    Just need to wait a few more months and all these problems will go away. Trust me, I've seen and tested it. It is spot on with any size fingers on either a router table or tablesaw. Setup is truly quick and simple. Its also the safest one with blade/bit guards so there is no danger of getting your fingers in the way if you decide to push the jig! It even has dust collection!