Thread: Exhaust Fan ----?????

Exhaust Fan ----?????

I need some help with installing a exhaust fan that I ordered yesterday.
    My concern is on the outside of my shop. The fan is rated at 2300 cfm , will a trailer parked 20 feet away from the shop need to be concerned with overspray. I would hate to get paint spots on everything.
    Thanks
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Mushroom cap, like at restaurants.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

That's not going to work on a side wall----the fan is 19 inchs sq with louvers

What will you be spraying?

That is what I have in the finishing room. Using waterborne coatings, everything is dry by the time it hits the filter ahead of the exhaust fan.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Unless you're spraying the fan itself you shouldn't have any problems. A filter in front of the fan is a good idea too.

Gary, I'm hoping that you're spraying water based finish because your exhaust fan doesn't sound like any explosion rated fan I've seen.

I would expect that with a discharge speed of aproximately 1,000 feet per minute that the overspray will travel 20 feet in the right conditions.

Regards, Rod.

According to the local regulations at my shop, the fan has to be a minimum of 10 feet from another building or parking lot. My property line is 20 feet from my fan exhaust and my 6 foot cyclone fence does not show any residue from the fan. I use water based products and have filters in my spray booth.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Gary, I'm hoping that you're spraying water based finish because your exhaust fan doesn't sound like any explosion rated fan I've seen.

I would expect that with a discharge speed of aproximately 1,000 feet per minute that the overspray will travel 20 feet in the right conditions.

Regards, Rod.
    Rod,

Mine is the tubeaxial Dayton 2,200 CFM, and it IS explosion-proof - however, I spray *** only *** waterborne coatings:

Al

I've got some blue residue on my louvers from using spray cans to paint some stuff but that's about all. And it will wipe off--just haven't gotten a chance. I suspect an oil-based product will carry a lot further before it dries though.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question about exhaust fans and finishes...

Do you only have to worry about the fan being "explosion proof" if you are spraying non water based finishes or do you have to worry about it with the vapors from wipe on finishes like laquer and polly, too?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,

Water-based lacquer or ply? Or solvent-based?

I went the route of explosion-proof because it was the right size, and the right exhaust volume. I use only waterborne finishes - is this considered exorbitant?

Last edited by Al Navas; 06-01-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Add one sentence.
    Al

Sorry, I use the words non water based instead of solvent based.

What I am asking, I suppose, is whether or not I need to change the fan in my finishing room (still setting up the room) to a explosion proof one if I am using solvent based finishes, but not spraying...just wiping on.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question about exhaust fans and finishes...

Do you only have to worry about the fan being "explosion proof" if you are spraying non water based finishes or do you have to worry about it with the vapors from wipe on finishes like laquer and polly, too?
    I am in the same boat-----we use a lot of Cedar and water base always turns white, so that puts us back to Laq. The Exhause fan I bought in TEFC-----I will need to look at the specs colser when it arrives.
    The filters-------doesn't that cut your air flow way back????